silly question - performance related

braedo

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, So I have been running that other websites bot program, and actually have been using that mac with the bugs compile.

anyways, I am having a little bit of trouble with performance - it doesnt really seem like its the computer having issues, but more of a FPS thing, so I think it might have something to do with the CPU plugin.

doing /cpu etc shows framrates of what I would expect, say 10 on the background and 50ish on the current toon. but when the current toon moves it drops way down to like 10 range.

this is on a quad core i7.

so my question is, does this sound like something Im doing wrong or maybe trying to double dip on adjusting the frames somehow (like mq2cpu is competing with something else?)

the other sites compile works flawlessly with 20+ toons on my puter so i know its not a hardware thing.

If you are running two different compiles then it is likely you have two sets of ini files and thus have two different set of plugins loaded and/or different settings for the same plugins.

I have my EQ clients frame rate set to max fg/max bg in game.
I use MQ2FPS to limit the fg/bg rate to 45 fps.
I use MQ2FPS to limit the bg to draw 1 frame in 30.
I use MQ2CPULoad to shuffle the EQ clients around so the fg instance is always on the least most used CPU.

/cpu shows all instances running between 40-45 fps.

thanks Dewey, ill give that a try!

for the drawing part, am I getting this right?

/render bg 1|30

Last edited:
what kind of I7 i mean i run an 8350 and get usualy over 40 fps running 4 or 5 toons but 70+ single

also turn off mq2mmobugs for some reason that plugin raped the shit out of my computers performance i have no idea why

yeah, I realized that a few of the plugins are the problem. when down to just the normal ones and its running much better!

thanks for all the help

Which plugins where causing you problems? Nice to know for future reference.

Ill have to look tonight - I mostly disabled the DPS ones along with any radar type ones.

I play with all stick figures. Really helps with reducing processing needs.

From ZAM:
... that you can view the Stick Figure models any time?

That's right, it doesn't even have to April Fool's 2009 (I think it was 2009, lol).

Anyway, all you gotta do is paste this line into your eqclient.ini file as the top line, directly underneath where it says [Defaults]:

Quote:
StickFigures=1

So when you open your ini file it should look like this at the top:

Quote:
[Defaults]
StickFigures=1

It makes any PC race a stick figure and this reduces the amount of video lag your computer produces. So for some, it can greatly improve performance.

To go back to normal models, replace the "1" with a "0" (zero). (Remember to save the changes to the file)

I play with all stick figures. Really helps with reducing processing needs.

QFT, with an exception:

If the zone is empty or there are not a lot of players in the zone, you won't really see much of an improvement in load times with Stick Figures turned on.

However, the improvement is noticeable in certain scenarios, like PoK lag pile or raiding when there are way to many player, merc, pet models around.

For more information on stick figures see this thread:

Modding EQ for minimum resources and maximum bots.

ive never seen any improvements with load times, you are correct. I do see significant improvements on play ability and raids. In general my system plays 6 accounts smoother with stick figures, especially during raids.

One big way I reduce lag during farming sessions, hidecorpse always. getting rid of tens to hundreds of corpses really seems to help my system.

For some reason when I use MQ2, my load time is not fast but not slow, somewhat fixed (what i call normal), but during patch days when I dont run MQ2, the load times are really fast (I run EQ on 250 GB SSD)

The mmobugs compile seems to scan all your disk drives (hd, ssd, etc) at server select, this can cause a time out error sometimes or increase your load time going from server select to character select.

I haven't noticed this happen with other compiles, or when you load EQ without the bugs compile loaded.

Last edited:
I believe I have tracked that down for you, had done so a while back, and it should be in next loader release. I haven't noticed any issue myself, but one of the sys info calls (via windows wmi call), does get a drive list as part of that windows function - so could be what you are talking about. Either way, I narrowed it down more, so it shouldn't bother with that (it's not even used anywhere, just happened to be part of the data the API call 'could' provide).

If you remember, try get a feel after I release next loader, and let me know if that was what it is or not.

Thanks man.

htw

I believe I have tracked that down for you, had done so a while back, and it should be in next loader release. I haven't noticed any issue myself, but one of the sys info calls (via windows wmi call), does get a drive list as part of that windows function - so could be what you are talking about. Either way, I narrowed it down more, so it shouldn't bother with that (it's not even used anywhere, just happened to be part of the data the API call 'could' provide).

If you remember, try get a feel after I release next loader, and let me know if that was what it is or not.

Thanks man.

htw

Thank you for this!

I will most certainly will be able to tell if its fixed, as one of my HD drives is failing, since it makes a "click" sound and takes about 5-9 secs to spin up, and EQ/MQ2bugs directories are not even on that rotational drive. That "click" sound always happens when I go from server select to character select. Which is what causes the time out error.

So if it ends up being fixed, I'll know as that drive will never spin up since my EQ directory and MQ2 directory are on my SSD drive.

Thanks man.

htw

Seems like this is still occurring at server select on scanning all my drives because it keeps checking my failing HD, even though compile folder and EQ folder are on my SSD.

Seems like this is still occurring at server select on scanning all my drives because it keeps checking my failing HD, even though compile folder and EQ folder are on my SSD.

Edit: That sounded smartass (my post, not yours lol). Let me take a look again - I can't think of anything, but who knows!

htw

Last edited: