Patch Wednesday, October 3, 2007

gman

JJ is my hero!!!
Reaction score
title_update_notes.gif

upcoming
On Wednesday, October 3, 2007 at 4:00 am PDT (5:00 am MDT, 6:00 am CDT, 7:00 am EDT - 7.00 GMT), all EQ Live servers will be coming down for a Game Update. The estimated downtime is 7 hours.

I've seen sooooo many people this past week GKing too. Guess they're trying to stick it to the man one last time before it's nerfed. It is funny though, always the same story whenever I catch someone.. I zone in and it's just the two of us, yes a /who npc corpse shows like 200 corpses =)

I think I'm going to miss it.

Not that its important or on topic, but to save some keystrokes, /who npc corpse is no different than /who corpse. There is a custom type of "npccorpse" over on the MQ2 boards somewhere but it isn't included over here yet since its still sort of janked.

maybe for 2-3 days...but perminant? i doubt it

i'm willing to bet my 3 level 75's with max aa and 2 days /played on it

lol j/k

They can break nd/gk forever. They know how, the question is will they spend the time to fix it correctly, or if they will just fix the current version of it and leave the door open for future versions. I suspect if it is fixed this version, it is a cheap fix. Give it a month or two and we might have a real fix, especially if this one gets hacked in a day.

but couldnt some crazy computer whiz just turn around and come up with another one? i mean...there are some skilled writers out there...i'm sure that alot of people on this site have the skills to be able to create something like ND or GK...yet they use their powers for good not eeeeevil...

GK/ND uses a flaw in the programming of EQ in order to work. The Devs at SOE know about the flaw and should know how to fix it which would, in essence, end GK/ND for good.

Like Vlad said, however...the SOE Devs have a choice of fixing the flaw permanently, or just a patch fix like a 2 cent plumber...

but couldnt some crazy computer whiz just turn around and come up with another one? i mean...there are some skilled writers out there...i'm sure that alot of people on this site have the skills to be able to create something like ND or GK...yet they use their powers for good not eeeeevil...

No, they can completely stop it rather trivially, at least the methods that are currently used for it. Thats not to say their wont be another bug someday to do it....and besides I don't think they are going to fix it for real anywyas.

GK/ND uses a flaw in the programming of EQ in order to work. The Devs at SOE know about the flaw and should know how to fix it which would, in essence, end GK/ND for good.

Like Vlad said, however...the SOE Devs have a choice of fixing the flaw permanently, or just a patch fix like a 2 cent plumber...

Actually, more so than that. Monkbug is a flaw, nodelay is a flaw. They both work by sending a ton of packets to the server, just different packets. Just detect when a flood comes in and kick the player (its rumored they are going to do this, and it shouldn't be hard to do so). Unless someone finds a way to send a single packet that does a ton of stuff, nd/gk would essentially die. I suppose it wouldn't really stop a ranger army...but thats not nearly as broken anyways.

well, i'd like to see an army of rangers....not sure if i'd actually want one!

Is this the patch that they put in the Halloween stuff in or is that later in the month?