Mouse Tales

SiegeTank

Lifetimer
Reaction score
Anyone use this mouse: Logitech MX 518?

It's a GREAT old mouse! Discontinued now, for the usual stupid reasons where hardware manufacturers blow perfection by coming out with a "new and improved" model of something that already works great.

Beyond the great look and feel of this mouse, not to mention the longevity (I've used one so long you can't read any of the text on the underside but it still works great) it's the ONLY Logitech mouse I can find which is programmable and enables the toggle option on Logitech's Game programming software. Meaning you can program one of the mouse's hot buttons to repeat until you hit the button again. This is perfect if you want your tank to be taunting every couple of seconds or a healer to cast a heal every 10 seconds, etc. Any action which you want to repeat for a time without having to be bothered hitting a hot key again and again. Even Logitech's $100+ current mice, while programmable, do not have this feature.

Now as an opposing anecdote, I just retired my (original price $89) Logitech mouse, Logitech G600, because even though it has 20 programmable buttons on the side, none can be made to toggle and what makes it worse they're almost impossible to press accurately during intense gameplay. An excellent example of a good idea with terrible execution.

Anyone else got a special old mouse they won't give up for anything?

BTW, you can find the MX518 new on eBay from one vendor selling them without box for under $30. I just bought 4 to make sure I never play without this model. And, NO, the seller is not me, I don't even know him but he shipped them quick and I'm happy with the purchase!

I still like the logitech M570. Its a thumb trackball and really makes a huge difference in for RSI in the wrist. When I'm at work and spend a full day with a regular mouse I feel the strain the next day.

I hate how fast the microswitches die. Saw a couple video's on how to replace them so next time one goes out I'm going to try a $2.50 replacement.

The one I use is the G500 and I love it, don't think Logitech makes it anymore but I could be wrong! I originally bought it for SC2 because I used to hotkey a few control groups to it, and now use it for DOTA2.

From friends that use it and swear by it, the Razor Deathadder is pretty good too.

Of course, there is no point splurging this much on a mouse if you aren't going to do some serious gaming. A $15 to $30 mouse will work just fine.

The mouse I use for my other comps is the low price Logitech ones and the this Etekcity one (goes for about $15 on amazon).

I remember looking at the G600 and was like how are you gonna hit any of those 30 programmable keys accurately, just seemed a bit silly to me. The G500 doesn't have so many programmable keys and its good for my needs.

Last edited:
The G500 looks a lot like the MX518 I use. Does the game software allow toggling repeat keys? The software contains this feature, since the software is the same for all Logitech keyboards and mice, but it seems to enable this specific option based on the specific device.

I agree that too many programmable buttons on a mouse is self-defeating. I use a G15 Logitech keyboard and that has 18 programmable keys (x3 if you switch levels) and they can all be set to toggle-repeat so I just want few on my mouse to conserve hand movements for really critical hot keys.

Nope it doesn't have toggle repeat option. I think the G400 does though, I'm not even sure if the G400 is sold any more.

Also, it might be just a software issue. Seems kinda odd that it doesn't have the repeater option on the G500.

Here is the auto-toggle repeat on the G400:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_nAbTfA02Q[/ame]

My software on the G500 doesn't even show that option to repeat. Very odd.

That's what I have noticed. I'm a sucker for trying out hardware, especially mice and keyboards. I have literally boxes full of old ones I've used and set aside. It bothers me no end that the recent Logitech mice do not enable this toggle feature even though they all access the same Logitech software.

Logitech still beats the pants off Razer, however, with their miserable cloud-based software which basically requires you to have an active connection to their server to use the hardware you bought, paid for, and OWNED. This cloud-based approach is "for the birds", if you know what I mean! :eek:

The best stuff has always been and will always be the programmable hardware that does not require a program and all the programming is done INSIDE the device and that's where it's stored. Like the first gen X-Keys and one of my favorite items ever, the Thumper v.2, which just cannot be found anywhere today. I can't even find images of it on the web. It's just a box with a USB or PS2 connection. You connect a 9V battery to it, and when you press its ONLY button you either get a repeating mouse click or a repeating key, depending on which version of the Thumper you owned. Yeah, it was a highly specialized item, and it cost like $85 back 15 years ago. So a crazy investment for a dedicated gamer. But for automating a single keystroke nothing has ever come close to providing the same simplicity and reliability.

Maybe I'm the only one who bought it (I bought 2, one of each version) and that's why the company went out of biz!

Last edited:
i have a black widow keyboard and a naga mouse and idk how to use any of the features lol