looking for an OS

If you have the licence key from the old machine (on the sticker-COA)..

The way it works is the key is 'non-transferable'...except...

This is checked against the hardware configuration to some degree from first activation or some such. I don't know how it works exactly...
Its actually pretty simple. On a hard disk, the first 64 sectors of the drive are unused, so what the manufacturers did was tagged those drives with an ID marker (HP did this method specifically, other manufacturers used the motherboard). So if you look online for a tool called HDD DMI, burn to a disc, boot off of it, then look on the bottom of your HP laptop / back of your computer for the hardware ID number, then when you boot off the disc, it'll tell you to type in that number. Punch it in, you can now use those discs with your machine. That's one way of doing it.

The other thing you can do is look up a process called streamlining. Basically, you're breaking down the manufacturer discs, stripping out those ID checks and such, then reburn those discs. Streamlining is the process they actually use to make those discs, so if you're feeling fancy and clever, and you have some wacky off the wall drivers that Windows 7 won't auto-install, you can include those drivers with the OEM disc install, strip out stuff you don't need, add in software, etc, etc, etc. It's all pretty interesting, but extremely time consuming, and there's no automation for the process at all; you do it all by hand! Did I mention time consuming?

Yet another method you can do (this one is a bit more of a pain in the neck, but requires less expertise overall). Install Windows on that laptop, copy the hard drive in it's entirety over to the target computer's hard disk, and then boot off of it. It will fail to boot, but after that failed boot, you pop in your windows disc and run through Windows Repair mode. It skips the whole ID checking phase of it, and just reinstalls windows over itself with the proper driver preparation.

All of em are pretty straight forward you can do without much expertise, but if something breaks, that's when you need expertise to fix it =P

End of the day though, I strongly recommend a copy of Norton Ghost, or similar software. Get your machine installed just the way you want it, running perfectly, and then make a ghost of the hard drive on disc. It saves time overall when you encounter system failures, and will work as long as you don't replace your motherboard with something else (if you replace other hardware, it'll just install the new drivers once you get windows up and running again).

That's funny b/c I've used the number from an old HP computer on a PC I built myself and it worked without a problem. The cd that you use to install with doesn't know what the hardware is. The tag you're talking about just pairs the processor and HD together to that if you put the HD into another PC, it fails to find ntldr and in turn won't boot.

That's funny b/c I've used the number from an old HP computer on a PC I built myself and it worked without a problem. The cd that you use to install with doesn't know what the hardware is. The tag you're talking about just pairs the processor and HD together to that if you put the HD into another PC, it fails to find ntldr and in turn won't boot.

Depends on the series of machine, but yes, some HP recovery discs would work on other machines, we actually used to have a few sets of em from various manufacturers at my previous job. Though overall, I can assure you that it does work how I described.

Last edited:
Why anyone would want to use the factory recovery discs is beyond me. Seems we've had a bit of a miscommunication here lol. I would use the number on the CoA on the PC itself with a Windows OEM disc that I downloaded via torrent. The system recovery discs are indeed tied to the motherboards in a very similar way that the XP and Vista installations are, I've noticed that windows 7 is a bit more lenient. Anyhow, yea, I torrented the OEM windows install disc, didn't use system recovery discs. No sense in adding a metric fuck ton of bloatware to the computer lol. Hell, I've even rooted my phone just to get rid of bloatware. Now that we've got that cleared up, with a torrented or otherwise acquired Windows OEM install CD, just plain windows, you can use the fake keys on the sides of the computers. Yea, they are fake, I once called Microsoft b/c the one I had wouldn't work anymore and they said that those numbers are generated by the manufacturer and that they couldn't give me a replacement. Ah well lol

Steam is actually also in the process of porting over to Linux due to competition factors with Windows 8 store.

This will mean linux could be a good thing to start learning now vs later.

Steam is actually also in the process of porting over to Linux due to competition factors with Windows 8 store.

This will mean linux could be a good thing to start learning now vs later.

I agree people should start looking into Linux more, but linux still has a long ways to go before it can get adopted by a non geek crowd. I tried installing linux on my desktop last week, I could not find a single desktop manager that would work correctly on my desktop. Linux Mint would not work with multiple monitors, Opensuse KDE got a kernel panic every time after installing (probably something to do with the ATI drivers), ubuntu crashed during the install nearly every time, fedora would hang loading (not sure why probably another kernel panic).

It might be because ATI doesn't work as nicely with linux or something, I don't know, but if it's not a smooth install and mostly working out of the box the majority of people aren't going to use it.

doing it now

so i splurged a little bit , im gonna have to figure out one of my less important bills, but from what i was reading and being told it was totally worth it, i went with an ssd instead, i got it from best buy and the guy actually priced matched from amazon for me , so i got it as cheap as i could and didnt have to wait, this is it thoughhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167093

he demonstrated it on anohter pc that had up and it was intsant load on everything,
im installing the windows 8 preview as i type this ill let you all kn ow how it goes.
im super excited to see this thing in action though,
im really greatful and thank ful for all of everyones help, just wanted to let that be known.
thank you, and as soon as im up and running ill say how it all works

so far so good

downloading eq now, took me a few mins to figure out windows 8, was a very diffrent UI than what ive become acustomed to, but im downloading eq now.
shouldnt take long

holy crap

this is insane how fast this thing loads, im super excited i got it