Good place to buy RAM?

BuffBot

Once You Go Hack, You Never Go Back
Reaction score
Ok so my PC has 3G right now but I'd like more because I like boxing several characters on one pc. I use eq windows and can see that I can barely run 3. I'm looking to add more ram but I feel like going with 2g sticks to get more bang for the ram slot. I use DDR 400 (pc 3200) and I'm having trouble finding many 2g sticks of that. I've checked newegg with VERY little luck. Is there another place online that is good?

If you have a 32bit OS adding more memory won't benefit you. You're looking at a reinstall of the OS at 64bit.

If you have a 64bit OS, you can try www.micron.com, they make decent ram and can match memory to your mobo/computer.

I personally use crucial.com for any manufacturer designed hardware. Such as, Dell, Gateway, etc.

For Custom Built, I normally use newegg.com.

newegg.com your processor will also play a big factor in eq boxing(dual core 3.0) will start to suffer drastically after 7 accounts even with 8 gigs ram.

Ok so my PC has 3G right now but I'd like more because I like boxing several characters on one pc. I use eq windows and can see that I can barely run 3. I'm looking to add more ram but I feel like going with 2g sticks to get more bang for the ram slot. I use DDR 400 (pc 3200) and I'm having trouble finding many 2g sticks of that. I've checked newegg with VERY little luck. Is there another place online that is good?

Whats the fastest speed of RAM that your MoBo supports? The slow DDR400 might be a problem with your system. If you can upgrade to DDR800 you'll see a dramatic improvement.

BB

the improvement from pc3200 to pc6400 is not very noticeable in EQ. Game performance overall isnt really that much effected from going ddr2 800 to high end ddr3

http://www.kingston.com/

I used to use newegg exlusively as well, but have found that, more often than not, Kingston has better deals and a soild selection. The site has a nice compatabilty tool as well, MB ---> RAM

DDR400? You are running DDR 1? What CPU are you running?

If you are running DDR1 (e.g. an older processor) I would not put any more money into that platform. Spend a few extra bucks and upgrade your CPU, Mobo, RAM, and GPU. It will be worth it if you enjoy running multiple instances on the same PC.

before you spend any money on ram, make sure you have a 64bit OS. you will likely not see a noticible difference between 3gb and 12gb of ram if you have a 32bit machine.