Formatting info

seductive_words

Lifetimer
Reaction score
I'm using an older computer until my good one is fixed. I noticed that this one is running much slower than it should with it's current stats.
Code:
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 4/9/2010, 23:52:18
       Machine name: 5AC9396
   Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.091208-2036)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
       System Model: System Product Name
               BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
          Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+,  MMX,  3DNow, ~2.0GHz
             Memory: 3072MB RAM
          Page File: 493MB used, 4464MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
     DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

I have tried looking through Hijackthis, Spybot, and Malwarebytes. I have found nothing that is helping so far. I don't have an XP disc, and I was looking at formatting, but I don't want to format with out the proper drivers, and XP disc. Is there a way to format every thing except for the original XP files?

Do a roll back as far as you can i suppose

just install win7 on it its a 2.0mhz thats fast enough for win7

If the box is for EQ, then ignore them, xp is better.

Win7 XP compatability mode handles that nicely.

Compatibility mode isn't meant for programs that already work, it's designed for applications that use stuff specific to that version of windows. Running an application in compatibility mode is a last ditch effort to use old software, and very likely will come with a serious performance hit. Leave well enough alone and just run it normally.

Ok listen to the win7 fanbois.

Have fun tweaking the hell out of your OS to get EQ to run worth a shit =)

If you play games that were designed for windows xp(every game i play) on 7 you will have issues.

Incoming:

"I've never had any issues with EQ on 7, it runs like a dream and got me my first girlfriend, I love it, I love it so much /cold sweats"

And to be completely honest I am going to make a video next week of my setup. My xp box with 2 gigs of ram, dual core processor and some cheap 256mb video card running 4 instances of EQ better than my Win 7 with a quad core, 4 gigs of ram, and some cheapo 512mb video card can run 3.

Because, as i thought people knew, benchmarks are not everything, sorriez.

Last edited:
I guess it depends on your experience with the results. There are so many factors involved. This system I test on, for example (the main dev box I use), has 4 native OS setup to boot: xp64, vista64 ult, win7-64ult, linux64.

With respect to the windows versions, I do notice definite differences in some things, without any 'tweaking', e.g. explorer file browsing/copying/etc.

With respect to gaming, I don't see any real difference one way or the other. On the vista/win7 setups, I do have them set like so, though:

- Run as admin
- XP SP2 compatibility mode
- Disable visual themes
- Disable desktop composition

Either way, IMO, it's all about what you want overall, and what you do - I do maybe 10% of my computer time here at home, on gaming. So of course, even *if* XP were to be a couple percent crisper with EQ, I'd not give up what I like, to achieve it - I am in win7/64 most of the time.

htw

P.S.: I do not bother 'tweaking' shit, beyond a few basic items I do in every windows OS.

Wow, only 4 copies of EQ? With that setup? I'm severely disappointed. My old rig was very similar to that only I didn't have a dual core processor and my vid card was a 512mb yet I was able to run 6 copies. Now on my new rig, I know I can run at least 10 before I get a noticable performance hit. But then again, running windows 7 ult with a 2.8 ghz dual core processor, 4gb of ram and a 1024mb video card, I can run anything on the market. *shrugs* Every game I own was originally designed for XP with the exception of EQ as it came out before the days of XP and I don't have to run in compatibility mode. To get EQ to run period I had to install Dx9c but that wasn't an issue. But that's just my 2 cents.

Wow, only 4 copies of EQ? With that setup? I'm severely disappointed. My old rig was very similar to that only I didn't have a dual core processor and my vid card was a 512mb yet I was able to run 6 copies. Now on my new rig, I know I can run at least 10 before I get a noticable performance hit. But then again, running windows 7 ult with a 2.8 ghz dual core processor, 4gb of ram and a 1024mb video card, I can run anything on the market. *shrugs* Every game I own was originally designed for XP with the exception of EQ as it came out before the days of XP and I don't have to run in compatibility mode. To get EQ to run period I had to install Dx9c but that wasn't an issue. But that's just my 2 cents.
Yeah, I didn't say you had to run it in compat mode. In fact, I know 100% you do not. I do so, because it does indeed perform better if you do that (unless you are using full screen, then who gives a shit).

For the rest of it, I assume you refer to Demonh2's comments, so will let him continue on. ;)

htw

Ok listen to the win7 fanbois.

Have fun tweaking the hell out of your OS to get EQ to run worth a shit =)

If you play games that were designed for windows xp(every game i play) on 7 you will have issues.

Incoming:

"I've never had any issues with EQ on 7, it runs like a dream and got me my first girlfriend, I love it, I love it so much /cold sweats"

And to be completely honest I am going to make a video next week of my setup. My xp box with 2 gigs of ram, dual core processor and some cheap 256mb video card running 4 instances of EQ better than my Win 7 with a quad core, 4 gigs of ram, and some cheapo 512mb video card can run 3.

Because, as i thought people knew, benchmarks are not everything, sorriez.

maybe if you invested in a real video card not some cheapo card you might get better performance. the only thing i did non standard was put the sony dir off the root and not under program files. my setup uses dual monitors with 1 to 2 accts on each monitor. again no issues or performance problemw.

Win7 ultimate 64
3 GB 1333 ram
2.8Gnz Proc Quadcore.
Intel 80Gb SSD for the main OS
WD 750 Gb secondary
812 MB 260 Video crd

doesn't matter, 7 pc has a vid card greater than xp pc and 7 doesn't run as good.

The exact video card does not matter. Results are results.

If your cool with 7 working better in theory and XP running better in practice then go with 7.

If your running Crysis 2 or whatever that new pc intense game is 7 is probably better.

If your like me and run older games your not gonna get better than xp, sorry.

doesn't matter, 7 pc has a vid card greater than xp pc and 7 doesn't run as good.

The exact video card does not matter. Results are results.

If your cool with 7 working better in theory and XP running better in practice then go with 7.

If your running Crysis 2 or whatever that new pc intense game is 7 is probably better.

If your like me and run older games your not gonna get better than xp, sorry.

No reason to use something from the 50s when something from the 90s works just as well. People dont like change so they look for any reason they can fabricate to justify staying with the proven golden boy. Simple fact is xp 64 sucks, and to only run 4 gigs of ram now a days is retarded. When you have to choose between xp32 / xp64 / win7 64... You only have one good logical choice.

For this person yea hes at 3gigs, maybe because it was pointless to get more with xp 32? x64 gives you more expansion and customization. Can actually get a 1 gig video card and not waist half of it.

Maybe if a frog had wings he could get bird pussy.

Pretty sure the 32 limit is 4 gigs and he has 3....

Last edited:
Maybe if a frog had wings he could get bird pussy.

Pretty sure the 32 limit is 4 gigs and he has 3....
No, 4 gig is addressable. System bios, video, vid mem, controller cards, etc. They all use addressable space, so for most people they'll end up with a 32 bit OS having anywhere from 2.8G to 3.2G available to the OS, including kernel memory. Doesn't matter if the ram is there or not, it can't be addressed, because the addresses are already being used.

htw