could not establish a connection

wonko

Lifetimer
Reaction score
Had a nasty problem with some malware, damn thing spamed me with virus messages and would not let me open anything that would get rid of it. Finally got rid of (keeps fingers crossed) but now when I try to start eq it gives me this message "could not establish a connection please check your network connection". The two files eqgame and everquest are on the exceptions list for the firewall. In fact disabled firewall and virus protection and still got the same message. Any ideas or fixes would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
try going to internet options then under advanced tab then reset internet explorer settings .

does eq use explorer to patch? network seems to be fine, eq seems to be the only program affected so far.

How did you get rid of the virus? We've seen a pretty big uptick in the 'antivirus' virus. It is a major pain if you don't catch it immediately because of all the other nasty stuff it does.

Try malwarebytes and Hijackthis. One thing i've seen done in the past is it injects itself into the winsock (or whatever the current name for it is) for its network based nefarious needs.

when i restarted the computer there was about a 2 or 3 minute window where I could start programs. So I started Malwarebytes and it stopped it. I think it did some damage tho before I could get it under control. I am unfamiliar with how windows communicates with networks so winsock is somewhat greek to me. Thought I would try reloading .Net Framwork but right now I am feeling around in the dark.

eq created a log when i tried to log in not sure what most of this means:

[11:18:00] Self-Patch Check. Begin initialization.
[11:18:00] Patcher: Checking Old Handles...
[11:18:00] Patcher: Creating Thread...
[11:18:00] Patcher: Done with Thread Creation Routine...
[11:18:00] Patcher: Thread Start
[11:18:00] Patcher: Memory Download Internet Type 0 Begin...
[11:18:00] Connect Success
[11:18:01] Patcher: curl_easy_perform failed (21,7): couldn't connect to host
[11:18:01] Patcher: DownloadToMemory failed (21) on url=http://patch.everquest.com:7000/patch/everquest/eqpatcherMain-changes.xml.gz
[11:18:01] Patcher: Memory Download of XML Operation Complete.
[11:18:01] Patcher: Memory Download Internet Type 0 Unsuccessful.
[11:18:01] Patcher: Memory Download Internet Type 1 Begin...
[11:18:01] Connect Success

Use the built in system restore and restore your PC to an earlier day before you got the malware. It's gone now so you don't have to worry about it coming back. I would also advise you to get Avast free edition as it monitors EVERYTHING you do.

Thanks dulak that is exactly what i finally ended up doing. Put a keyboard in front of a monkey and eventually he will spell a word. Was a tense few minutes this morning trying to get rid of all the junk. I will check out Avast.

that wonderful virus .....

Yea ... I've seen that virus quite a bit =) Smitfraudfix also does the job of clearing it out pretty well if you happen upon it again.