Computer trouble

rackarn

The Average Joe MQer
Reaction score
My new macbook pro at times freezes up (twice last 2 hours, but was about 3 days ago before that) while running vista ultimate 64bit. I've checked all my drivers and have everything up to date. Can't figure out what could be causing it... could it be that the cpu idle setting is too low? Can I change the value?

Can't seem to find a valid solution.
Have updated every single thing to my knowledge.

Maybe it's something totally different?
CPU heat? What do I know?! :p

Appreciate any help!

Seems to always occur when I have been using vlc.
But like I mentioned earlier it is odd since the other day I saw two long films without trouble....

But today it froze on me now three times.
The computer is pretty hot I guess though. Maybe there is a fan utility I could use out there?
Froze in my lap the last couple hours.

Seems to always occur when I have been using vlc.
But like I mentioned earlier it is odd since the other day I saw two long films without trouble....

But today it froze on me now three times.
The computer is pretty hot I guess though. Maybe there is a fan utility I could use out there?
Froze in my lap the last couple hours.

If its getting hot enough for you to go, "wow thats hot", I would wager on you having some overheating going on. They make laptop fan bases, and make sure that your laptop is always sitting on flat surface with nothing blocking vents. Laps are horrible places for laptops to sit, :p They sell trays you can set them on when your in bed or in a chair so you can have it in your lap without overheating.

Guess I should look into some type of tray then.
Do you have any numbers on typical values the core should be at?
Atm I'm getting 68 celcius - can't hear the fan.
Is there a program that I can use to regulate the fan value?

I'll be honest, I have absolutely no knowledge of boot camp'n Mac's with windows installs. I'm not sure how the hardware works out in this situations, I do know Mac's have been moving to more PC centric hardware. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of this for a Mac can answer your question. 68 C is pretty hot by the way. My desktop currently sitting at 51 C running full load with only fan cooling to give you idea.

Been doing a lot of reading around. Found a program that might help me out after reading tons of articles about the issue that vista is running too hot on the macbook pro's. Seems that apple only made good drivers for xp and not vista, but hopefully this new software will do the trick.

Link: http://www.olofsson.info/index.html?inputremapper.html

Since atm my fans aren't moving, seem to only get moving when I get way way too hot. So something is definitly off with the compatibility with vista.

Will let you know if it's a success :)

Seems like the program works. Upped the settings on my fans and can finally hear them spinning away. It has also brought the temp down. Hopefully the freezing was just the heat issue.

On a side note I'm going to be looking for some type of tray as you suggested ;)

Seems like the program works. Upped the settings on my fans and can finally hear them spinning away. It has also brought the temp down. Hopefully the freezing was just the heat issue.

On a side note I'm going to be looking for some type of tray as you suggested ;)

Glad this program is working for you. I personally use Riva Tuner to up my fan speeds as the 8800 Ultra's on my desktop are known for heat issues, monitoring the heat, i'm at 75.8 C with the fan at max speed.

Another thing you might consider is being that this is a new macbook, you could call the vendor for troubleshooting (or Mac) sometimes as annoying as it is, the customer support for a certain company may be your best option