Wizard question

neum

Lifetimer
Reaction score
I have been discussing getting summoned and how to burn mobs with a wizard in my guild. I almost never get summoned and parse alot hight then the other wizard. He thinks its best to blow all your mana in like 90 seconds then gate and med then get back to the fight. I prefer a slower burn making use of patient harvest and my mana regen to keep me going. Is gating a viable strategy? I have never seen this done but a few fights like Vule. Is this practiced in the higher end raid guilds?

Unless you are trying to get aggro I do not really see why you would need to gate.

So that you get the 30 second OOC regen timer instead of the 5 minute one. But unless he has 0 chance of getting aggro on the way back and a quick zoner it probably isn't a good strategy, though i bet even then it's still close. And to answer your question its not practiced in any high end guild on my server at least (7th)

I believe thats called Attention Deficit Disorder. People like that would never have survived pre-Kunark medding.

I have spent my whole EQ life as a wizard, and I consider myself to be a well respected one that gets the most out of my character. I don't always have the most up to date spells and the most AA's, but I always parse at the top and hang with wizards who out gear me and have better spells then me by playing smart. A wizard can do insane damage and can also die in the first 30 seconds of a fight. I have never seen anyone gate after blowing all their mana as fast as possible. That just seems silly to me. Now, with the new harvest, old harvest, and AA harvest, it is possible to blow all your mana, harvest back up, mod rod, and have quite a bit of mana left to bang with. Typcially, on something I want to burn a mob with, I'll throw down silent casting and prolonged destruction as soon as the fight starts and start chain casting a big nuke i.e. Ancient: Core Fire. Then when GoM pops, I"ll throw Ether Flame. I'll do that until the prolonged destruction ends and silet casting ends. All of that damage is basically aggro free due to the silent casting. After that, I'll chain nuke until my mana bar is low, and if I happen to throw down 3 crits in a row, I'll use Mind Crash AA. Harvest up and such after that. If the mob is still alive, your guild doesn't have much dps and needs to recruit more rogues, monks, and wizards. I sometimes barely get through my whole mana bar without harvests before most raid mobs are dead. Hope this helps some. Feel free to PM me if you need any further advice about wizards.

Thanks for the replies. The debate all started when I posted on the guild site because I noticed every time we fight a named on a raid the wizards and mages get summoned except for me. I gave them some tips like using concussion blast before nuking for the proc affect ect. They got offended becuase I am somewhat new to the guild. I like to raid but on my server there is only 1 guild near the high end. The guild I am is trying but hasnt beat sendaii yet. I raid with an alliance also that is plowing through Demi but often I am the only wiz on the raid with them.

They got offended becuase I am somewhat new to the guild.

People with ego's about their playing skill suck. Especially when they aren't very good at all to start with. I'm surprised you haven't run into this a million times levelling up. In general I try to offer advice humbly so I don't come across as pompous, and if they don't want to take it, then I stop trying.

It doesn't take long before a guild notices who is doing their job right.

A solution to them bitching is to parse the fight or have one of the melee do it and see how you parse vs. how the other mages and wizards parse. If they are getting summoned and you are alive at the end, I'd almost be willing to bet you do more damage then they do. That's the biggest piece of proof you can back up your side of the argument with.

I always found having every boss fight parsed (or even trash clearing), then posting it on the guild website after the raid always helped show the guild who was slacking and who was doing well above there job. Sure it was never 100% correct but gave a good idea.

It helped increase DPS dramatically in my old guild as people starting being more on the ball because they didn't want to see there name at the bottom of the list. After posting the DPS reports (or was it TPS reports) daily we starting to progress at lightning speed.

Last edited:
I'll second fry's experience here.
Having a designated parse freak or 2 posting DPS logs of each of your raid mobs is by far the quickest way to getting the guild as a whole to start churning out more DPS, while making sure they don't catch aggro and lose DPS by being dead :p

While my main's not a wiz, I have played a wiz on many a raid that we had too many OTs already, so my 2 cp...

silent casting + prolonged destruction + as many big, mean, nasty nukes as possible till they fade, then play chase the nuke type with concussive blast.
Usually wind up doing big nuke, -50 resist nuke, big nuke, concussive once that's going.

Well what I used to do... was start hitting small nukes get a gift of mana. auto hit my tell to druid to click his epic then click mine then hit silent cast then hit the pyro and hit the big nuke. I had this all done in a macro to make it faster but damn was it nice... then I keep hitting the small fast DD nukes to pump out some DPS while my silent cast was on and max damage was going hoping to get another gift proc. THen hit the big nuke before all that faded. also I would swap out my loyal familiar for the RO's familar to get a bigger DD... BUt that is just something to think about. what can you do to make more damage and still have mana left over..

People with ego's about their playing skill suck. Especially when they aren't very good at all to start with. I'm surprised you haven't run into this a million times levelling up. In general I try to offer advice humbly so I don't come across as pompous, and if they don't want to take it, then I stop trying.

It doesn't take long before a guild notices who is doing their job right.

Yeah thats is definitely true. I remember running creators as a young enchanter, and being told be a member from a top guild that i should slow before i mez. This is around the time i had 5k hp maxed with 50 aa's. I basically politely said no thanks and she wouldn't shut up because she's a member of a leet guild. 3 Months later im too good for her guild =p. Could possibly have something to do with i know what i'm talking about. Oh and btw she did not even have so much as an Enchanter alt. The thing worse than people's skill ego for their class, are people's skill ego for classes they dont even have. I try to offer other enchanters suggestions on things i see they need help with, if they dont take it i shut up. Maybe if everyone could learn to do this.....

i just watned to say i say someone mention pre-kunark medding and i had to laugh, i remember having like 1400 mana and it would take FOREVER to med it up 2 per tic $$$$

People think its absurd that spawns like gukbottom are 28-32 minutes, but that was the point, if you werent medding for 22-24 of those 28 minutes, you wouldn't have the mana for the fight when your room of....3 or the super lucky, 4...frogs/kobolds/whatever respawned.

That sounds like more chillaxed fighting to me, i think i would enjoy that more.
I'm sure sony wants to be just like WoW when it grows up, but everquest used me mean something. Used to be known as the hardcore mmorpg, but that is no longer. That and I'm an enchanter, OOC regen kinda killed needing enchanters for crack. Another mark under the worthless category for enchanters, because we badly needed another one.

ONE DAY! WEE WILLLL RIIIIZZZE AGAAAAAAAAAAAAIN!

Not Bloody Likely

yeah coff i agree back in the day when youd kill a mob and med forever the mob would repop just about the perfect time if mobs back then had spawn times they have now you could never fight your way back anywhere theyd respawn when ur still 5% mana lol remember back then when getting a "breeze" made you raid buffed
~95% of the people who play now days dont know what breeze is
-sony eq facts​

bah breeze isn't old school. They added that in later.

Clarity is the original. Back when you said enchanter and people would ask wtf is that?

It would still be nice to maybe have 15% of our PoP glory back. It was so fun being the god of PoP =(

i dunno i started the day sullon zek came out my bro had been playing for a while and wouldnt let me play, told me i ahd to watch him and learn the game first haha prick, but i remember getting to level 12 and couldnt level anymore past that i dunno why i musta spent like 6 months at level 12 =P guess its b/c my mage was sporting cloth drops and a summoned wep /shrug woulda been nice if i had the moeny to buy my 12 earth pet the fire pet i had died too quick

PS: dont hate

This is situational. For example the guild I'm in does porthio often, but our dps sucks. By the time Nightshade is dead (we do him first), I've spent my mana bar+patient harvest. I can then gate to the pool, chill and get back full mana (and harvest up) when Porthio himself is around 70-80%. (Using guild banner ftw)..

So there are situations where this tactic is worth it. Most of the time though it's all about Sothgar's into EC, clicky pants in between, and if your mana bar is > mobs health, some instant nukes mixed in. In general I randomly click concussive blast.

You should save mind crash for when you see yourself on Hott, because it is instant..