Laptop question

Linatra

Reaction score
I am trying to find a laptop that will run eq at 1920 x 1080 or close or 17+ inch display. I had an alienware m9700 aurora for ages and it finally crapped out. I am pretty much an idiot when it comes to computing and what is or is not good graphics card wise especially in laptops.

Also I am not wild about spending more than $500 on something but since I play a pretty vanilla eq (no spell effects, 3/4 clip plane, no shadows etc) I'm guessing there's got to be something someone could recommend that is in the $400-$500.

I did a search and didn't find anything recent.

asus G75 r0cks. I use hdmi out to my 55" TV and runs native 1920, but also not in your price range....

Reactions: Linatra
Yes the ASUS G 75 is a beast love mine, I m not sure your gonna find one that runs EQ like a champ AND in that resolution at that price range. Even your modern day Alienware wont be in that range.

First off, let me say you will never ever want to lug around a 8-12 lb notebook just for gaming. My gaming laptop has been sitting at my desk more than its seen use in mobility.

But if you do want to invest the $$ into such a huge brick to lug around read this -http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/

Get a sager/clevo, that way you can upgrade your gpu as time passes. There are quite a few companies that sell them rebranded. Here are a few:

xoticpc.com
malibal.com
pro-star.com
aftershockpc.com

Not only are the quality of the parts as good or even better than the major companies like dell, hp, asus etc, but you might get more for alot less $$.

I recommend xotic or malibal out of those, anandtech has done reviews on laptops from those two companies in the past, plus I own a malibal and have been very pleased with mine.

Thank you for the recommendations!! And no offense taken I appreciate your up frontness. As mentioned I am not well informed about what is and is not so good with laptops and graphics.

I was probably not clear on what I sought. To that end I was hoping to find a laptop that could run eq. Not a machine that wiould have to run eq at max settings. The 17 inch display was what I had on my previous alienware laptop and it was from Christmas 2006 so I was thinking something similar could be available on the cheap. I am not looking for anything that would compete with a desktop or the higher end machines mentioned....though that asus and samsung models did whet the palette!! I'll have to save a few more dollars but my end goal is to have a laptop I can use in class over the summer and play eq.

I have an ASUS g73jh its 1600x900 but i can 6 box on it with 0 lag/slow downs. Just got it on Ebay last week for $520.

Awesome deal