Farming DoDH Zahn: Deserting the Ranks

Larsen

Lifetimer
Reaction score
Did this a few times at the weekend, initially for the flag but it was so easy I just redid it a few times for the goodies. Needs an FD class and enough force to kill the Captain, (max hit 700ish, summons, slowable, low resists).

- FD toon gets the mission and is given Shiliskin Heirloom Shoulder Guard.
- All head to the instance. Once you zone into Ruins of Illsalin just warp to one of the guardians near the instance and hop over the wall.
- Once everyone is in the instance buff up ready for the final fight!
- FD person invis up, /nokos on and warp to any mob in the bottom room.
- You'll see a ramp near the door to the room, drop /nokos (stay invis) run up and over the ramp to trigger a flag and complete a stage of the mission.
- Once you've done the trigger run over to the mob that's lying down in the south-east corner of the room and give him the Shiliskin Heirloom Shoulder Guard.
- Invis up again and run to the North-West corner of the room and FD.
- Now wait about 10 mins while Emperor Draygun wanders around the room spawning the dead shiliskin to life one by one.
- Once he's spawned "a reanimated captain" Emperor Draygun will despawn. note: if you stand up at any time while Emperor Draygun is in the room the undead will auto-agro you, you don't want that.
- Once Emperor Draygun has despawned the mobs will no longer auto-agro. So stand up and /warp t in the rest of the group to your North-West corner.
- The Captain is now a very easy Snare Split or whatever your prefered pulling method is.

If you loot the last piece and turn it into Zahn that completes the task, gets you the flag piece and an Augment, it also gets you a 20 minute lockout. If you just quit the task after looting the captain you can instantly get the task again. If you wait outside the instance keep an eye out for a wandering Drachnid who see's through invis, he occasionally paths up to the instance door probably worth a /warp s while you get the next task and warp back when you're ready.

Link: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=3205

Did the normal version today after seeing these instructions. Here's what I observed.

The Captain hits abit harder than 700 ( 1K? ) but is still a push over, especially after being slowed.

Some spider wandered into the lower NW Corner of the zone a few times while I was getting ready to split the Captain and caused deaths which resulted in a few failed missions since the group will get banished for someone ( maybe 2 people ) dying.

Anyone know what the Hard version Captain hits for?

Tips:

Illsalin loc to Instance zone in: -748, -1319, 58

I fought at approx -620 , 170 , -115. I would snare split, then when Captain was close and single , warp in my crew to kill him.

Not sure where the "lower NW Corner of the zone" apart from zone in you shouldn't be touching anything outside the southern chamber and as far as I'm aware nothing paths into there at all. My pull spot is the NW corner of the chamber, the chamber is the southern most room in the zone.

I've only bothered with the Hard versions so far, so that 700 is roughly what I'm getting hit for on Hard, with 3.2k AC, max avoidance/mitigation AA's etc.

Yes, I meant the NW corner of where the Captain spawns. Could be that I was too close/touching to the corner wall and was agroing from some other area.

You have about 400 more AC than me and I lack in the avoidance/shielding area as well so that probably explains the hit differences.

Will try Hard tonight..

Edit: Hard was just as easy a Normal :)

Thanks,

Last edited:
Be careful doing the task like this.
Even though its not likely to be detected it can be if they check the task logs, depending on what they log for the stuff.
I dont see anything in your list about looting the chest and getting the key to open the door and such.
So If you do this, make sure to loot the chest, and open door behind the guardian so that it would be less likely to get noticed.

Added note, you can also do this with a bard instead of FD class, but its trickier. When each wave spawns, they can Fade, and lose agro on the mobs. Problem is if you let them get too close they will see you after you fade, and you are toast heh.

Technically this is possible without using MQ, although it's a total PITA.

-SK/Necro uses HS down to the door and FD's.
-Use Shadow Step to get through the door.
-Group members suicide outside the door and SK/Necro drags them through to the NW corner.
-Necro rez or use hovermode drag trick to get group back to life.
-By the time you've done all that Dragun should of de-spawned and you can buff up and kill the captain.

I wouldn't suggest for a second anybody bothers with all that. But if it was a choice of proove it or get banned, it could be done.

The way we do it is train all mobs away from chest in DA, have someone go and loot key. Zoneout to clear agro. IVU to the gargoyle and kill it, pass door. Everybody camps besides the FD person (actually we keep a kiter online but it seems it isnt required).
Kiter runs around while the fder just keeps instance alive. Once captain spawned groups relog and kills it.
Involves no MQ and is pretty fast anyways (total like 15 min including zonings)

farmed this mission over 20 times a while ago....its not hard, had a SK with about 13k base hp and druid do it for our alts gear. Captain is a pud, all though it can get kinda tricky to pull. i always used FD/snae thing with the SK...then after that u could just /fade