MQ failing to initialize

smjacobb

Reaction score
I am getting the following error on some EMU but not all. It seems that when I use a fresh eq install, MQ works fine, but as soon as I run their patcher, MQ doesn't seem to want to run/inject any more. Anyone come across this?

1711474903050.png

• Haha
Reactions: EQDAB
MQ looks at the time stamp inside eqgame.exe to make sure it's injecting it's data into the correct spots. If timestamp is wrong, you get "Incorrect client version".

My guess is the emu you are using it on has changed eqgame.exe.

I did some more digging. Both servers are using d8input.dll. Digging into this I found that this dll is part of https://github.com/xackery/eq-core-dll, Which for reference is mention here in the official eqemu docs https://docs.eqemu.io/server/npc/customizing-npcs/making-a-custom-race/#create-model-via-eqgzi. It seems to not just be for models, because in it I found the what looks like an mq prevention. It also seems to have an option to report your mac address. Not sure what else it is reporting back to who knows yet(kind of concerning). This files seems to contain other things for the servers as well. Example, if I delete this dll I can run MQ fine, but I can't turn on AA Exp.

1711514329567.png

You are correct. dinput is commonly provided as a custom file with functions detoured/added that do various snoop checks. Sometimes they do legit do things the server/client needs for smoother operation, but more that often, it's just to do what you have noticed.

Would there be a way to block(set to false) with CE or ArtMoney to block snooping? In the terms of MQ couldn't you compile the version check out so it could just be by-passed? Completely talking out my ass here.

I would recommend trying it by using stock dinput8 dll file and eqgame.exe and see how it goes. Depending on how they coded the function(s), they may be nosy enough that if any said checks fail, to just crash you anyway. THF is one such I know, because I tested there. I just used stock .dll instead and it was fine as far as I ever saw anyway.

You would need to bypass the date time check.

If this is one of the servers I dev for, you'll instantly get banned, as there's other anti cheat.

😘