Windows 8 performance vs. Win 7

Artemus

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'd noticed my Windows 8 machine was running 1 instance of EQ real choppy, while the Win 7 machine ran 4 without a hiccup. Start the task manager and there I see MMOLoader is taking up anywhere from 9 to 13% of the CPU cycles. Is there any reason for this, and is there any fix?

I'd noticed my Windows 8 machine was running 1 instance of EQ real choppy, while the Win 7 machine ran 4 without a hiccup. Start the task manager and there I see MMOLoader is taking up anywhere from 9 to 13% of the CPU cycles. Is there any reason for this, and is there any fix?
I don't have windows 8, and have no idea why that would be the case.

htw

I have upgraded to Windows 8 on my desktop and am noticing similar performance issues. For me mmoloader is using 2 to 10% CPU even when EQ isn't open. I'm not sure what it's doing in the background to use this much CPU, I didn't have time to load up Wireshark to see if it's doing excessive update checks or not. Only other thing I can imagine it doing continuously would be monitoring for eqgame.exe's to inject into, but up to 10% CPU for that is a bit much. EQ itself was only using 2% CPU when I opened it (sitting at character select), mmoloader continued to fluctuate between 2 to 10%. Although I was not seeing any chopiness or anything in EQ. It still ran fine for me.

Windows 8.....lol

Yeah, I used to be like that too. Then I bought a new laptop / tablet convertible (Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro) a couple weeks ago that came with Windows 8.1 on it and didn't have Windows 7 drivers available easily. So I decided to go ahead and make the switch on my desktop as well.

Once you get past the OMG METRO FRACKING SUCKS phase, it's actually a pretty good OS. Lots of things are streamlined and redone to provide better information and it's just plain faster than Windows 7. Everything feels just a bit more smooth. It is annoying having to use a 3rd party start menu replacement, but I've gotten used to it now and on my desktop I rarely even think about the fact that I'm on Windows 8 instead of 7.

I still absolutely detest metro on a desktop, and have it disabled completely on my desktop, but on my laptop it is convenient at times when I use it in tablet mode. Just to note, if you disable UAC completely (which you have to do via a registry edit not just the UAC slider, which is another neusance), it will completely disable the use of Metro apps. If you try to open one it will tell you it cannot open due to UAC being disabled.

Other than a couple of small neusances, my biggest complaint with Windows 8 is MS trying to force the change instead of giving an option to still have an old start menu and disable the metro ui in the OS. That's an issue with the company though not the OS. Whenever Linux matures enough that I can use it full time including gaming and watching blu rays without having to do a bunch of work and sometimes only getting half ass working results, then I will install it on my desktop as a primary OS. Until then it will run my servers, and always reside on a VM on my desktop for when I want to use it for something.

Last edited:
Well, I don't have time to look into an OS related issue like this. At this point, I have VMs and systems for testing anywhere from Win2k/win98se (emu's, but uses same loader) and xp/xp64, vista/vista64, win7/7x64, and linux - and don't see any such issue.

htw

I don't know if it will help you or not.
Before upgrading to 8.1 which solved a lot of my problems and created new ones....
I ran MMOLoader in compatibility mode for Vista on my Win8 box.
That solved some of the strange issues I had like that.

I am not sure I would recommend the upgrade to 8.1 vs 8 though.
With 8.1 I am getting some really odd freezing issues where the processor spikes to 100% and I cant even ctl+alt+del till it decides to come back on its own (unless I hard power off). That is happening in EQ, IE and Outlook preview panes.

Of course my Win7 and Vista boxes run just fine.

sounds like a internet protocol isnt right and causing a hang while it attempts to resovle the issue.

Well, I don't have time to look into an OS related issue like this. At this point, I have VMs and systems for testing anywhere from Win2k/win98se (emu's, but uses same loader) and xp/xp64, vista/vista64, win7/7x64, and linux - and don't see any such issue.

htw

I wouldn't worry about dead OSes like XP and Vista, htw. They are on the way out, what's left of them. Windows 8, whether we like it or not, is the future, and I watched that performance meter hover at 9-13% the entire night on JUST MMOloader. Something is amiss.

I wouldn't worry about dead OSes like XP and Vista, htw. They are on the way out, what's left of them. Windows 8, whether we like it or not, is the future, and I watched that performance meter hover at 9-13% the entire night on JUST MMOloader. Something is amiss.
Let me drop everything and work on your issue.

Wait...

NO

htw

I have been running 8.1 with no issues for months. I haven't gone to the full version. But the preview is running flawlessly.

I still absolutely detest metro on a desktop, and have it disabled completely on my desktop, but on my laptop it is convenient at times when I use it in tablet mode. Just to note, if you disable UAC completely (which you have to do via a registry edit not just the UAC slider, which is another neusance), it will completely disable the use of Metro apps. If you try to open one it will tell you it cannot open due to UAC being disabled.

Do you have any details on disabling metro ? I'd love to get rid of the accidental open this app with metro crap .

Do you have any details on disabling metro ? I'd love to get rid of the accidental open this app with metro crap .

Disabling User Account Control in Windows 8 - Yash's Blog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

That link tells you the registry key you need to use to disable it completely. Note, this will only prevent metro apps from opening. The metro UI itself can still open if you have a link to it, or don't have a 3rd part start menu app that will make the windows key open that instead of the metro ui.

Let me drop everything and work on your issue.

Wait...

NO

htw

You have become better at detecting sarcasm (255)

Never asked you to. Just bringing this to your attention.