Windows 10 and EQ

If you remove card-specific video drivers your computer will just switch to default drivers to create your display. You shouldn't lose video.

If you remove card-specific video drivers your computer will just switch to default drivers to create your display. You shouldn't lose video.

I tried pretty much every persons suggestions on this thread and at this point.

Well I did a clean install of windows 10

I used this that took out the drivers and set up new ones, it seemed to work

radeon-software-adrenalin-18.3.4-minimalsetup-180325_web.exe

The EQ screen looks so great everything is working perfect but I can hardly move and that is with one instance of EQ running.

I installed the DirectX 9 in the sys32wow (whatever it is) folder and in the EQ folder I am not sure how to tell if that is working or if it is running the DX9

So if anything else you can think of if not I guess I will call the Tech guys again. I wish I knew if the problem was only EQ I have no other games so don't know how to test if it is running right other than EQ.

anyhow thanks to everyone.
Ma

I didn't read everyone's posted replies, so don't get angry if I ask a question that's already been answered.

When you say lag I've assumed you mean video lag. But, video lag isn't always video card related.

If your HDD is being "maxed out", it could cause similar behavior (press ctrl+shift+escape) and bring up your task manager when EQ is running. You should get a few columns like CPU, Memory, Disk, Network, GPU.

Maybe take a screen shot of that and post it here. If your disk is perpetually 100% then that would cause the type of lag you're experiencing. Also, if this is a fresh install of 10---have all of the updates been done? I've seen plenty of systems slow to a crawl because windows is trying to install one of their huge version updates in the background.

Have you run any other games besides EQ? If so do they run smoothly?

If other games run perfectly fine with no lag we can probably rule out bad hardware. I look forward to seeing if this gets solved.

Edit: I run a small company that does nothing but troubleshoot, repair, build---pretty much anything to do with computers. I'd be happy, as some have suggested, to Teamview in and see if there's anything I notice right off of the bat that would cause the issues you're describing. I know it's a bummer to get something new and have it not work the way you want it to.

Last edited:
I was wondering about this one
EQ + Multiple core processors | Narogg' s Place

He says But mine has 2eqclients for Trillogy and one for legonges of Norrath plus mine has CPUAffinity0=0
The other eqclient has no CPU listed?

Press Control + F Clipboard14
type CPU and hit find Next
You will see CPUAffinity1=1
Change the last 1 to -1
Hit Find Next
If you run more than 1 eq instance ( ie box) you will see CPUAffinity2=2
Change the last 2 to -1
Repeat these steps for as many it finds changing the last number to -1
Hit Control + S when your done and close the file.
This will allow each instance to use all the cores of your processor!

I didn't read everyone's posted replies, so don't get angry if I ask a question that's already been answered.

When you say lag I've assumed you mean video lag. But, video lag isn't always video card related.

If your HDD is being "maxed out", it could cause similar behavior (press ctrl+shift+escape) and bring up your task manager when EQ is running. You should get a few columns like CPU, Memory, Disk, Network, GPU.

Maybe take a screen shot of that and post it here. If your disk is perpetually 100% then that would cause the type of lag you're experiencing. Also, if this is a fresh install of 10---have all of the updates been done? I've seen plenty of systems slow to a crawl because windows is trying to install one of their huge version updates in the background.

Have you run any other games besides EQ? If so do they run smoothly?

If other games run perfectly fine with no lag we can probably rule out bad hardware. I look forward to seeing if this gets solved.

Edit: I run a small company that does nothing but troubleshoot, repair, build---pretty much anything to do with computers. I'd be happy, as some have suggested, to Teamview in and see if there's anything I notice right off of the bat that would cause the issues you're describing. I know it's a bummer to get something new and have it not work the way you want it to.

Thank you! More suggestions I will try this tomorrow, another whole day on this!
Yes I mean video lag well I can barely move the char or look around with mouse, view keeps switching to sky and down.
:) Check and if you are willing and it doesn't work I will have to be told how to use teamviewer. Thanks

view keeps switching to sky and down.

So if you're logged into EQ, it will change views without you touching anything? Does it cycle through views, or just change to one specific view and stay that way?

If you get to the point you'd like to do a teamviewer session, let me know and I'll guide you through it. If it's tomorrow then perhaps 5 or 6 pm eastern. I've got a lot of yard work to do tomorrow :eek:

view keeps switching to sky and down.

So if you're logged into EQ, it will change views without you touching anything? Does it cycle through views, or just change to one specific view and stay that way?

If you get to the point you'd like to do a teamviewer session, let me know and I'll guide you through it. If it's tomorrow then perhaps 5 or 6 pm eastern. I've got a lot of yard work to do tomorrow :eek:

Thank you and everyone so much I had just taken a shot of the task manager with Eq running shows memory 40% but wow windows 10 has so many thing on the task manager list!!
I have not been able to be around for a while but I was thinking to get your help. Now I logged into EQ after this download and suddenly my game is working fine!
I don't know why but I hope it keeps up!
I am hoping I can have your help if needed in the future if you don't charge to much. I will save this thread.
Yeah yard work EEK lol!!

Is it running like that w/o MQ running? I ask because I did notice that when I did a wipe and reinstall of EQ and MQ, there was an plugin enabled, that made it run slow. I'de have to go back and see which one it was for sure, but I think it was the CPULoad one.

I'de have to go back and see which one it was for sure, but I think it was the CPULoad one.

As the author of CPULoad I would like to know if it is causing issues with Win10.

The only time CPULoad will help performance is if you are boxing more EQ instances than you have CPU cores. I wrote it back when I was running 6-8 characters on a quad core.

It basically has each instance report its FPS and which core it is on, then who ever is in focus and has keyboard / mouse input asks any other clients to get off its core. This makes the character with focus get more CPU cycles.

The only way this should decrease performance is if there is a bug in the timing code for when it is requesting core changes and/or it can't get then info from the OS and is causing a delay.

Dewey,

I'll re-enable it this evening and let you know what I see. Is there anything specific you want me to look for?

Just note your FPS before and after. Can type /cpu to see fps of all clients

Now I'm not seeing the issue, but then again I have been through 4 driver updates or so since then.

Is it running like that w/o MQ running? I ask because I did notice that when I did a wipe and reinstall of EQ and MQ, there was an plugin enabled, that made it run slow. I'de have to go back and see which one it was for sure, but I think it was the CPULoad one.

It seems as though the last EQ update fixed the dx9 or some other problem because I did nothing and I had tried running with only EQ it was the same.

NOW weird thing, suddenly on my brand new computer windows 10 I get a blue screen it all goes down when I get it back on my shortcuts to EQ, MQ2 and WinEq all gone.
I am to disgusted to do anything atm!:-(

My problem is finally solved I followed Daybreak instructions in case it helps someone else.
Also as well as the stuff below I found that in turn windows features on/off my NET Framwork 3.5 was disabled. Not sure which of the items below worked of it was just this.
I had never beedn instucted to update Chipset driver before .
Anyway thank you and everyone Happy! MamaBear!

Hi,
You may wish to try the following:

Check for Windows Updates
Be sure you to check for any available windows updates prior to updating the following drivers.

Clean Video Driver Install
A major issue on many systems is the presence of multiple graphics card drivers or drivers that have been incompletely uninstalled followed by the installation of newer drivers that can result in rogue registry entries and other issues.

The easiest way to find your graphics card is to run the DirectX Diagnostic Tool: Click Start. On the Start menu, click Run. In the Open box, type "dxdiag" (without the quotation marks), and then click OK.

There has been a high level of success resolving these kinds of issues by doing the following.

-Remove the current drivers or driver framework from the "Add/Remove programs" or "Programs and features" applet in Windows control panel

-Refer to the links below and reinstall the latest graphics drivers to your system

NVIDIA Drivers

AMD Drivers

It's also a good idea on AMD systems to make sure the chipset drivers are up to date which can be found here:

AMD Chipset Drivers

DirectX Update
Make sure that your DirectX is up to date.

You can download the latest version from here

Note: It is best to install both the latest version AND the DirectX-End-User-Runtime, you will find them both on that link

.NET Framwork Update
Also make sure you install both the 3.5 and 4.0 .NET Framwork.

Download 3.5

Download 4.0

Download 4.5

Microsoft Visual C++ Update
Please be sure you system is running the latest version of Visual C++.

What Version of Windows Do I Have?

Microsoft Visual C++ 64bit

Microsoft Visual C++ 32bit

If the issue continues, please provide a fresh set of DXDiag and MSInfo files upon successfully installing the Windows and Driver updates on the system.

How to create system and network information files

Regards,
Ray C.

Congrats, MamaBear! I was wondering if this problem had driven you out of the game, which would be sad!

Congrats, MamaBear! I was wondering if this problem had driven you out of the game, which would be sad!
well I was ready to give up and was sick for some time, but the above stuff only fixed my problem while in empty lands! I found after zoning to POK I was still broken ;-0

I found the real fix

EQ> options> display>Advanced
Set to use advanced lighting and or allow 2,0 pixel shaders camp come back

This fixed mine.....perfect now!!

if not they recommended also allow HW vertex shaders

Another person recommended setting the computer Control panel>Power Options to High performance.
Thanks again all for the help, hope it helps someone else too.

Congrats! Good to hear altho what a journey LOL.

Congrats Mamma, welcome back

well I was ready to give up and was sick for some time, but the above stuff only fixed my problem while in empty lands! I found after zoning to POK I was still broken ;-0

I found the real fix

EQ> options> display>Advanced
Set to use advanced lighting and or allow 2,0 pixel shaders camp come back

This fixed mine.....perfect now!!

if not they recommended also allow HW vertex shaders

Another person recommended setting the computer Control panel>Power Options to High performance.
Thanks again all for the help, hope it helps someone else too.
What a wonderful thread this turned into. Lots of excellent info, along with fantastic helpful suggestions. And a working result, so great! Thanks to all involved.