Windows 10 and EQ

MamaBear

Premium Member
Reaction score
I just got a new computer windows 10 64-bit and it won't run Everquest to much lag. have no idea what to do to get it working.
AMD FX(tm) 6300 6 core processor 3.5 GHz
8 GB ram
AMD Radon R7 200

I have stopped all the not needed apps and anything I can see to stop. Anyone have any ideas?I am not computer literate but can look stuff up:)
Thanks

Last edited:
I just got a new computer windows 10 64-bit and it won't run Everquest to much lag. have no idea what to do to get it working.
AMD FX(tm) 6300 6 core processor 3.5 GHz
8 GB ram
AMD Radon R7 200

I have stopped all the not needed apps and anything I can see to stop. Anyone have any ideas?I am not computer literate but can look stuff up:)
Thanks

That's interesting because I run windows 10 and I haven't had any issues. Unfortunately, sadly, I also cannot make any suggestions either.

Something's wrong since Win10 runs EQ fine. I have it running on multiple machines. I will say sometimes I zone into a crowded zone and it takes a couple seconds to load graphics (skins for models and ground/architecture) which never happens on my Win7 machines but this is trivial and nothing like you're describing.

Did you buy a brand name system with a lot of crapware on it? HP is a big offender there with its stupid update and diagnostic "managers." If you were more computer savvy I'd suggest reinstalling Windows 10 fresh to get rid of any unnecessary add-on software.

Sounds like video card drivers.

I tried updating drivers but it says it has the latest.
I guess i will have to take it to someone and see if they can figure it out.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions

Other things to try:

#1 In the control panel go to system -> device manager and see if there are any devices that are reporting as not working or not supported.

#2 Go to AMD's web site and download the video card drivers directly from them.

#3 If you copied EQ from another computer you may need to run [EQ Folder]\OptionsEditor.exe. If the GFX card is listed incorrectly bad things can happen.

I did a new download but attempted to move the needed char files to the new one, that is all a mess also nothing is right.

Device manager shows no problems but CCleaner sure shows a long list of stuff like missing dll's in net framework, active X issues, invalid firewall rules and a long list but I am scared to do anything to that.

I recently saw someone else who was having problems getting EQ on a new windows 10 machine.

The problem was getting Win 10 to really install the version of DirectX needs.

I'll check to see if I can find the post.

Q? Are you running on a raid drive(s)?

Q? Can you just reinstall Win10 and start over?

This is a slack chat conversation. Its a bit technical and guy deleted the directX files out of his system ( which is bad ) and the reinstalled the directX EQ needs.

--------------

mudbug [4:42 PM]
Just a follow up on my lag issues. Long story short, I reset/reloaded win10 and that cleared up my issues. If others are thinking about doing this, just beware you might get the infamous 0xc000007b error. It was not fun or enjoyable trying to pinpoint and correct the issue(s)

wired420 [4:45 PM]
^ Run windows update a few times then install vc redis, dxwebsetup, and .net 3.5 will almost always fix that

mudbug [5:09 PM]
I did all of that, the issue was windows 10 didnt want to allow me to install older .net # or older dx9 files. It would inform me I had newer versions and cancel the install. My biggest hang up was installing directx, I kept getting an install error on the xinput1_3_x86.inf file. It didnt matter if I ran admin or not. What finally cleared up the issue was deleting all the d3dx##.dll files from the system32 and SysWOW64 folders, then reinstalled directx and that fixed my issue.

brainiac [5:50 PM]
well, i just worry that now your system may be in an inconsistent state

This is the best place to get the Direct X you need:

Download DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer from Official Microsoft Download Center

Sure sounds to me like it's time to reinstall Win10. Hell, I'd reformat the hard disk and start fresh.

I tell my semi-computer-literate friends it's like you have a sheet of notebook paper you keep writing important stuff on, and you erase and use whiteout and write new stuff on top of old, etc., etc. After awhile you end up with a royal mess you can't make heads or tails of. Reinstalling Win10 fresh is like taking a nice fresh sheet of blank notebook paper and copying on to it only the info that's current and important.

I can tell Win10 with 1709 build is not very EQ friendly.

I used be able to box 18 chars with no issue, now even with 10 chars, a lot crashes and slowness.

Q? Are you running on a raid drive(s)?

Q? Can you just reinstall Win10 and start over?

No I had to look up raid drive but it seems not
No I would not feel comfortable trying that.

"My biggest hang up was installing directx, I kept getting an install error on the xinput1_3_x86.inf file. It didnt matter if I ran admin or not. What finally cleared up the issue was deleting all the d3dx##.dll files from the system32 and SysWOW64 folders, then reinstalled directx and that fixed my issue."

So William12 also mentions DirectX 9 we need 9 for EQ? I am having trouble finding things on windows 10 but I may be able to try this.

This is the best place to get the Direct X you need:

Download DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer from Official Microsoft Download Center

Sure sounds to me like it's time to reinstall Win10. Hell, I'd reformat the hard disk and start fresh.

I tell my semi-computer-literate friends it's like you have a sheet of notebook paper you keep writing important stuff on, and you erase and use whiteout and write new stuff on top of old, etc., etc. After awhile you end up with a royal mess you can't make heads or tails of. Reinstalling Win10 fresh is like taking a nice fresh sheet of blank notebook paper and copying on to it only the info that's current and important.

But I just got it new it has not been used. Every time I do something big to a computer everything goes wrong so maybe I count as less than "semi" computer literate!

Xbox dvr can slow shit down. Personally, I turn it off.
I see the xbox thing on there but have not turned it on. I use EQ very simple you probably would not even call what we do playing :)

Certainly have not gotten a black Pearl aug!

if your using wineq2 turn off eqplaynice and turn off mq2fps my old 8350 hated those

This is a NEW computer, eh? Then that's a strange problem.

IS it a brand computer like HP? Like I said they do stick a lot of crapware onto those systems. Crapware are add-on programs that just clutter up and slow down your system.

Windows 10 has a built-in reinstall feature which is not bad at all. Some good instructions here:

How to Reinstall Windows on a PC or Laptop - Tech Advisor

I do hear you, though, it's a scary idea. It usually goes fine but no guarantees, of course.

It does sound like maybe your problem was/is tied to Direct-X. You might want to UNinstall it entirely and download the web installer from the link I provided above. I've NEVER had an error installing Direct-X this way and I've done it over a dozen times, without a doubt.

Last edited:
Even more directly - almost installs its-self

Try this link Mama, it'll popup a download box, just click the save button.

About 1.5 sec's the download will complete, just click run & let it do it's thing. When done you'll have the most up to date DirectX 9.0c. No need to save the downloaded file. It may change before you'd use it again. From here if it don't fix it will require you to supply more detailed info. ;) Good-luck! You're gonna be great.