Truecrypt

This is so serendipitous. LOL. I was just looking into freeware to secure a computer. The only thing that scares me is the post on download.com where the guy says he was using Truecrypt on an external HDD that had a lot of his data and he had a glitch where he lost power during the encryption process and the whole drive was permanently lost to him.

I guess that's understandable if power is lost in the middle of encryption but it's still worrisome.

Been using Truecrypt for quite some time now. It works for my needs. Be careful not to encrypt entire SSD's including HPA, otherwise you're fooked, lol.

They have a pretty big warning when you encrypt your SSD's now.

This is so serendipitous. LOL. I was just looking into freeware to secure a computer. The only thing that scares me is the post on download.com where the guy says he was using Truecrypt on an external HDD that had a lot of his data and he had a glitch where he lost power during the encryption process and the whole drive was permanently lost to him.

I guess that's understandable if power is lost in the middle of encryption but it's still worrisome.

You would think if you are that worried about your data you would have a power surge protector/back up. So power outage would never be an issue.

Lot of reasons why an external HDD connection could be broken during a long period of access. I use them all the time and it's happened to me unavoidably despite my best efforts. We've all had a computer reboot on us for "no apparent reason." Frankly, this is one of my big fears of using encryption, that "something" goes wrong and data is lost forever.

Anyone remember a few years back one of the early big on-line backup companies went bankrupt? The bankruptcy manager gave customers 2 business days to get all their backed-up files off the on-line servers because the physical units were going to be seized, wiped and sold to satisfy creditors. Well, if you happened to be on vacation during those 2 business days you lost all your backed-up files permanently. And who you going to sue? A bankrupt Internet company?

File security is always a compromise between relying on yourself and relying on others.

When I see credit card processors having their servers hacked and millions of pieces of customer personal info wind up in the hands of hackers and criminals, I realize that self-reliance should come first. What about Sony's servers being hacked and it's discovered that account data was being stored without any encryption? We all remember that! LOL

Last edited:
Lot of reasons why an external HDD connection could be broken during a long period of access. I use them all the time and it's happened to me unavoidably despite my best efforts. We've all had a computer reboot on us for "no apparent reason." Frankly, this is one of my big fears of using encryption, that "something" goes wrong and data is lost forever.

Anyone remember a few years back one of the early big on-line backup companies went bankrupt? The bankruptcy manager gave customers 2 business days to get all their backed-up files off the on-line servers because the physical units were going to be seized, wiped and sold to satisfy creditors. Well, if you happened to be on vacation during those 2 business days you lost all your backed-up files permanently. And who you going to sue? A bankrupt Internet company?

File security is always a compromise between relying on yourself and relying on others.

When I see credit card processors having their servers hacked and millions of pieces of customer personal info wind up in the hands of hackers and criminals, I realize that self-reliance should come first. What about Sony's servers being hacked and it's discovered that account data was being stored without any encryption? We all remember that! LOL

This is just highlights the risks that go with outsourcing vs building the infrastructure yourself.