SOE Sued

Yeh, thats why i quoted that earlier

lol a blind guy is upset cause soe is selling plat and its affecting his busness.
i bet the guy isnt even blind he just sueing on " behalf " of them lol.

Well from my first post I was going on what hoppy said, now that I read it, he is blind their is nothing they can do for him, unless they do send somebody to his house to play.

In EQ2 and Vanguard they have servers where you can buy and sell items, currency, characters and accounts. This is most likely what the guy is referring to. I hope he loses and they counter sue him for court fees and the hit to their reputation as it is a stupid lawsuit and if he does win we will end up paying more for the game.

I believe I saw a banner ad on the EQ2 site for the buying and selling of items etc so maybe thats it...

I hope he wins. The legal precedent it would set would be hilarious. If you flicked off a blind guy you'd have to tell him what you were doing in order to protect yourself from liability.

While i am torn between what is really right on this. if u read the story he has made multiple attempts with soe to at least do somthing and they choose to ignore it. yea when i first saw it i though great another math fucka tryin to make money but after read the thing its not soley about money he wants to play like evryone else we all enjoy to and fact is sony doent allow him that ability. they make a very good point that other games do allow third party software and in sonys eula it flat out says its a no no. While i do see a lot of u upset at the fact that hes doign so and yes it probably will have a negative impact on pricing so on so forth. But how many of u have had a lagit bitch or grip with soe and they always ignore there user base. for once one persoin is standing up and shoving there foot up there ass. maybe they will learn to listen to there user base instead of ignoring it. i dont normally agree with sueing someone for stupid shit but. fact is sony is breaking the law and someone finally calling ther bluff. sad that it has to come to sueing them to get them to listen at all. we have all seen this countless times with sonys lack of effort in fixing bugs shit and every other thing under the sun.

This is the equivalent of wanting to run a marathon when you have no legs... sure it sucks that you cant participate but for fucks sake video games are ALL about the VIDEO aspect of it otherwise they would be audio games and then it would be someone who cant hear making the lawsuit. Its BS while I feel for the dude and would not want to be blind if I were I wouldn't be pissed at a game company who rely's on visuals to create the online env.... maybe its just because i am tired and not yet drunk but this really pisses me off I hope soe wins this one.... /rant off

In some ways I think we should be supporting this guy, because it sounds like one of the things he is trying to do is get the use of 3rd party programs to modify the game made legal.

Imagine if he won, and SoE was not allowed to ban people for the use of 3rd party programs.

This will be completely be thrown out of court. The Americans with Disabilities Act only applies to physical places of business and access to the products, goods, services, etc...

As in you must have ramps, certain space between aisles, handles in bathrooms, etc...

This would be like sueing Playboy because you are blind and cannot see the pictures.
You're wrong. :)

The ADA is about useability - physical or virtual.

Other than that, yeah...I don't think this is going anywhere...

BC

Someone commented that this is analogous to someone wanting to run a marathon with no legs.

Wheelchairs have competed in marathons for years now!

It all comes down to REASONABLE accomodations. Of course, the government's definition of reasonable may not be all that reasonable. Some of the ADA regs can require a small business to spend $20k or more to install handicapped-accessible bathrooms into a 6-table restaurant.

EQ already has voice enabled communications and audio prompts, which go pretty far into making some aspects of the game more friendly to the blind. Ultimately, though, there's no f'ing way to make a game as visually dependent as EQ, or ANY computer-based monitor-dependent online MMORPG entirely friendly to blind people.

Altho some people will dispute this... anyone hear of the baseball league for the blind? The ball has some kind of beeper built into it, and they remove 2nd base, for fear of a fatal collision between a runner and middle infielders. I heard about it... I'd love to see a game played...

I would just hook the judge up with a computer. Boot up any other computer game. Unplug the Monitor, and say NOW FIGURE OUT HOW TO FUCKING PLAY!

I would just hook the judge up with a computer. Boot up any other computer game. Unplug the Monitor, and say NOW FIGURE OUT HOW TO FUCKING PLAY!
Not exactly a fair comparison. With information on the web and audio triggers, you can set up just about anything you need for EQ. Sure, it may take a while and be a huge pain in the ass, but it's doable for the most part.

Can you send me a video of you setting up audio triggers blindfolded? =p

Sure - get me a screen reader and it's not hard at all.

You can edit/create all of your ATs in notepad and save the file. You don't have to be anywhere in game to create them.

i think its wrong what the blind guy is doing. He will never be able to really play a video game and its not SOE fault. I would prob do the same thing and buy a bunch of music and soft things because thats all i can enjoy in life as a blind person.