Scamed: don't like it - what next?

cobold

Lifetimer
Reaction score
I used the free EQ weekend to install the latest MMOBUgs and EQ updates and got started. However I spend more time being frustrated after I saw that my Warrior which I bought in Feb 2011 is not longer available to me.

History:
- Bought War in Feb 2011
- Changed Email, Passwd on the account I bought
- Moved the char to one of my accounts
- Stopped playing in Spring
- May 2011 - After getting those news about SOE and the "reset your passwd Emails" from SOE I went to all my accounts, first my normally played ones, then the ones that have been older and reseted the password
- It did take serveral days as I was only to reset some account during one day and then got an error which was cleared the next day.
- When I tried to reset the passwd for that bought account I got an message like You have already reset your password- I found that strange so I made even a note in my reset today list. at that time I thought I did reset the passwd already...
- This message "(You have already reset your password)" seems to have indicated already to me that I was scammed in May, however I did not play so did not notice

Today using the free weekend I logon and saw that the char is gone from the new account and I do not have any more access to the old account which I bought.

I will call SOE next to see what they say. Any hints from anyone what to do?

Thank you,
C.

I received an update from SOE, the char was moved back to the account I bought (which I can not access anymore). SOE was so kind to give me the name and server on which the char is on now.

What would you guys do?

Contact the person you purchased it from. If you purchased it through the marketplace here, send Villageidiot or myself all the details and we will help however we can.

Contact the person you purchased it from. If you purchased it through the marketplace here, send Villageidiot or myself all the details and we will help however we can.

I contacted the seller and Villageidiot. The seller shared from who the seller bought the toon before.

Update:
We do now know who did take back the account.

1.Original Owner (maybe a MMO member?)
2. Owner 2 (mmo member)
3. Owner 3 (mmo member)
4. Me*

I have details of No 1, he has his current credit card on the account which SOE was so kind to share with me all details about.

SOE was so kind to share with me

I call BS, you must be calling some other company if they actually were decent to you on the phone. Perhaps a directv account, maybe your bank account, even your cell phone account.....but not an EQ account!

SOE was so kind to share with me

I call BS, you must be calling some other company if they actually were decent to you on the phone. Perhaps a directv account, maybe your bank account, even your cell phone account.....but not an EQ account!

Call what you like. He is telling the truth.

woot

every once in a while they get laid and are in a good mood lol. i think he got lucky!

So far all the SOE reps I talked to about this case have been very helpfull and friendly.

When someone took mine back, i called SOE and was able to get them to tell me the name of the person and some additional data. using google and spokeo i was able to dig up their number and call the seller directly and explain that when they stole my money it was wire fraud for the 3 counts and was punishable under my states law for 5 years and $10,000 per offense. It was 3 because it was all separate for incidents of across state lines wire fraud against playerauctions, paypal, and SOE sites.

I dont know what your state regulations are, but if you know who took it, you could start there. In my state, it had to be over $250 value and because I was able to track down all the other info, it made it easy. It also helped to look up the name of the local police chief where they lived and implied that we were friends. but i really could have pressed charges had they not returned it. The paypal transaction specifically said it was for virtual game account in my case, so that would have helped.

If you dont know who it was, it is up to the local district attorney whether or not to follow up and your odds go down greatly.

When someone took mine back, i called SOE and was able to get them to tell me the name of the person and some additional data. using google and spokeo i was able to dig up their number and call the seller directly and explain that when they stole my money it was wire fraud for the 3 counts and was punishable under my states law for 5 years and $10,000 per offense. It was 3 because it was all separate for incidents of across state lines wire fraud against playerauctions, paypal, and SOE sites.

I dont know what your state regulations are, but if you know who took it, you could start there. In my state, it had to be over $250 value and because I was able to track down all the other info, it made it easy. It also helped to look up the name of the local police chief where they lived and implied that we were friends. but i really could have pressed charges had they not returned it. The paypal transaction specifically said it was for virtual game account in my case, so that would have helped.

If you dont know who it was, it is up to the local district attorney whether or not to follow up and your odds go down greatly.

This always makes me lol. If we were talking over seas id say press charges but in the US good luck i've yet to read about anyone going to jail for this type of shit. Its just easier if you know who they are track them down and introduce them to Mr. Baseball Bat and Mr. Boot to the face. While it is illegal you will not find anyone to prosecute your case odds are it goes to the bottom of the police file and gets lost or they dont follow up on it ever.

Last edited:
lol

I was a collector for the longest time, If you have there past addy/phone number past or present, you can track them down with ease, use sites like accurint, once you track them down and get there social sec # from accurint your home free, from there you can get everything you need to find them to there exact location, you can get there phone numbers, correct addy, shit you can even see if he owns a CCW or gun with accurint, from there the sky's the limit.. ah the world of technology... Shit you can even file a lein for the value of what they took right from the site heh... See where he works, see what bank he banks at, theres plenty of ways to go about that... Thats why as soon as u buy a account, make sure u right down the names and addys on the account, so if that ever happends you have a place to start from,

Last edited:
I was in no way saying cobold was lying, its just I've never had a friendly SOE rep talk to me the few times I've called. The shot was at SOE, not at cobold.

A 'collector'?? Is that the new and improved name for a repo man?

:D

htw

to many

he prolly means collects accounts like me. im at a total of about 20ish accounts at the moment only 4 active atm tho :)

I was in no way saying cobold was lying, its just I've never had a friendly SOE rep talk to me the few times I've called. The shot was at SOE, not at cobold.
Since the may hacks I think they've actually hired a few human beings. I've actually gotten decent service from them too.

Go figure.... Lose a few hundred million to hackers and find a personality...

he prolly means collects accounts like me. im at a total of about 20ish accounts at the moment only 4 active atm tho :)

No, he was a debt collector. The nice people who call up and threaten you when you don't pay your bills.

One of these days, you'll become a SERIOUS collector Wilbunk. I still have over 4 groups active with level 90's (and I hate think how many accounts).