Question for ppl running a lot of accounts on one pc

NZ2017

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I raid box 24 accounts on my pc with settings turned down to a minimum. Occasionally I'll have some soupy lag when we do a full burn, but on the whole my pc has been handling it well. A couple of patches ago that changed. A full dps burn in demiplane is now lagging me out really badly. Not sure if lag is the correct term, but basically my pc can not keep up with the enormous amount of info it's being asked to process. Outside of a full burn situation it's still doing fine.

I didn't have a dedicated video card (was running a built in one) and put a decent one in. It hasn't helped.

Has anyone else noticed their pc isn't handling EQ as well as it used to? Is it possible something was done several patches ago to cause this? Any ideas what I can do to remedy my problem? I haven't downloaded any new programs, basically nothing has changed my end.

Thanks in advance!

will be interesting to hear from other 24 boxers on on pc

I would like to know how you get 24 running on a single system? Which system do you have (CPU, Gfx, Mem, Resolution)? Or are they spread on 2/3 systems?

12 are a max for one system at HD for my 4/8-core (i950) but really laggy (most graphic complexitiy disabled, no sky, near clip near, particles densitiy off and only my spells). Playing it with a bit more fun is around 9 per system (with the same control/feature of the full raid from every single EQ task/window). But with 12 per system it is still possible to make some old world raids successfully. More accounts mean cutting down graphics to nearly unplayability on that screen.

Because of lag and kicks I reduced the necessary plugins to a minimum. Some plugins are simply not working properly at high data rates like a burn or more than the usual 6-12 toons (and esp. if the CPU-cores are all at 100%).

EQBC: It looses toons, logins are going wrong if the login is done at once via hotkey. This is sporadic but the more toons, the more often it happens. There is a failure rate of around 10-20% sometimes. The Emule v1.3 EQBC-Server works still the best. Others are partly unplayable due to too much information sent or depicted - they partly even cannot handle simple command chains of 20+ toons). But still then it looses sometimes commands like an Accept-Macro (for yes/no) send to 18-30+ accounts at once. Some are always not processing this information.

The difference from some months ago to now (tested on a fresh Win10 install only usage is EQ, but there were some Microsoft updates meanwhile):

Now:
- less kicks and crashes (but still sometimes on longer sessions - 4h+ - the strange disappearing of a complete EQ task without any crash notice)
- more lag and more memory usage
- the "_"-bug of autologin is back again (does cut down the name from x_y to x)
- a strange "cannot connect due to ... server denied... something bug" since the last weeks - need to kick tasks and relogin then it works - but first login mostly brings up login server problem

I run about 9-12 characters per machine and have 3 machines I used to box old raids on.

The machines are nice but not OMG nice. "8 core" @ 3.6 ghz AMD, i7-8700K, and quad core laptop. GPU's are 1070, 760, and mobile geforce something.

I use MQ2FPS set to render 1 in 30 frames for background clients.
I use MQ2CPULoad to swap clients around the cores so which ever is in the foreground gets least loaded core.

I run at 1280x1024 with low texture quality.

When I go much about 12 per computer I hit 100% CPU per core and performance takes a huge nose dive.

I've run upwards of 36-42 characters and generally don't have any problems with EQBCS. The only time it messes up is if one of the client hangs.

I will say I am running a custom version of MQ2EQBC and I did a fair bit of tweaking to get it stable back 5+ yrs ago. ( I forgot now what all I changed )

At one point a couple years ago I tried making a separate EQ folder and followed some of the suggestions for minimizing resources. I'm sure some good search fu would find that thread.

Last edited:
Many thanks. That is highly interesting. I tested every EQBC-Version available from MMOBugs to Redguides - I would be highly interested in your version.

My version at moment likes to add a "Login_" in front of the PC-name. That is only sometimes the case but I have to de/reconnect to get rid of it. This happens only under heavy load when connecting many toons at once.

Your CPU power is much higher than mine.

Did you release your personal custom version or would you post it here?

I use MQ2EQWire after it been released, before I use MQ2FPS.

I box 32-40 on my pc, 12-14 on my laptop. There is no lag at all.

My pc has 256G Ram, one single graph card- 1080ti, Dual 10 cores Xeon(20 cores in total) with up to 40?50?MB L3 Cache (believe me, L3 Cache has always been the most important to EQ box cpu wise) and I put EQ in my SSD.

I turned off social move and dynamic lightning in EQ but keep all Luclin models with 1920X1080

I do lose toons on EQBC occasionally though.

Last edited:
I run 54 on AMD 2700x GPU, AMD RX 580 GPU with 64 GBs of DDR4.

No lag at all. I do however use mq2fps i set bgrender rate to 50 and max bg fps to 15. I don't use mq2eqwire at anymore.

I built 2 of these PCs all same setup and both run great with that many toons going.

I run 54 on AMD 2700x GPU, AMD RX 580 GPU with 64 GBs of DDR4.

No lag at all. I do however use mq2fps i set bgrender rate to 50 and max bg fps to 15. I don't use mq2eqwire at anymore.

I built 2 of these PCs all same setup and both run great with that many toons going.

What's the advantage of using MQ2FPS over MQ2EQWire?

i run 6 toons on a 1600x and rx 580 with 16 gigs of ram and get 60ish fps all the time the weirdest thing is i got a big fps gain going from 1080p to 1440p like 20 fps i some places and thats with all the graphics maxed out

I’ve had up to 54 accounts loaded on my machine with 48 actively doing stuff.
Eqwire is used

Gtx970, i715930, 64 gb of ram, single directory on my sad.

Eqwire is used

Is EQWire the only optimization you used? What resolution where you running? what kind of frame rates did the clients have?

Eqwire is used

Is EQWire the only optimization you used? What resolution where you running? what kind of frame rates did the clients have?

All updated models on, sound on, texture caching on, texture compression on. Running at 1920x1080.

Under display advanced settings in game I have everything except the vertex/pixel shaders off. Sky reflect size at Tiny, sky update at once per minute, terrain at minimum, balanced memory usage.

Currently have 29 accounts up, 26 of which are actively doing something at the moment. Using 29% of CPU and 54% of memory doing everything that I am doing at the moment which is more then just EQ. About 10% of that ram usage is being taken up by non-EQ related processes.

Thanks for the replies. So no one has experienced problems since a couple of patches ago? A friend said it sounds like I am having bad memory leaks. If I log out and reload before a particularly problematic raid zone/series of events I have no problems during burns and events with many adds popping. It isn't a great solution b/c loading 24 accounts takes a long time.

What exactly are the problems you are experiencing? You may try /log off to see if that fixes it. Also, make sure Windows defender is set to ignore your everquest log folder.

Refer to my 1st posting for the issue.

I have logging and the journal off, use mq2fps, have windows defender and my antivirus program ignoring EQ, and every setting in game is at it's minimum.

I've heard of a few big boxers having similar problems since a few patches ago that aren't b/c of EQ log/journal settings and anti-virus software either.