Paid Subscription system for new website

Fry

Fry Guy
Reaction score
Website
www.mmobugs.com
Hey Gang,

One of the biggest problems we've had with the recent switching of forums system is with the paid subscription system. We have to manually grant all old paid subscription payments by hand, as there wasn't an easy way to automate old paid subscription system to new. We granted everyone an extra three days access to give us some leeway in us granting access to make sure nobody loses it before we grant it.

Anyway on to the reason to this post, we have lowered subscription cost from $14.99 a month to $10 a month and also lower the yearly price to $80 a year. This special is only good until the end of August to help nudge people over to transfer to the paid subscription system. After August, no more special and prices will go back up to normal, so get in while you can. This is only good for Preimum people (Sorry Lifetimers).

To take advantage of this offer, log into your paypal account, cancel your current reoccurring payment, then you can sign up again under the "Account Upgrades" link up the top right of MMOBugs. I know this is more than likely going to be a dumbass idea as we're throwing away 1/3rd of our revenue, but it's for the greater good of the site long term. Once you purchase the $10 a month or $80 a year, it's good until you cancel it, so you can stay on it even when prices go back up.

If you have any questions let me know. I also hope the new forum system is working better for people. We still plan to make some changes to the website template, and start building some new features. If you find any permission problems or bad links please let me know, as they keep popping up here and there.

I hope everyone is staying safe. If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a message.

Thanks and take care.
Fry.

One of the problems I have had on more than one occasion is double billing with recurring subs
its happened w monthly subs, so was being billed twice till i noticed, and most recent I had an issue of being billed for a monthly and for a 3 month at the same time
If people buy the this new sub method will it begin when their current sub method has expired since that has already been paid for?

You have to watch that with paypal integration. Maybe xneforo does it better than vbulletin, but who knows? The different types in vbulletin just let you go click on one and take it, but if you didn't cancel it, paypal subs takes it and sends it via the API. If using paypal with subscriptions anywhere, I cancel it at paypal, I've never done it through the software or site. Then when that sub doesn't auto-renew, that software reg'd state stops, or site access stops, or whatever.

Fry can chime in better on the vbulletin method (old) vs the xenforo one. I use paypal for all kinds of stuff on annual or monthly subs (antivirus, office 365, some visual studio plugins/software, github, hulu, etc.), and again, if I want to stop it, I go to paypal - not the AV vendor site, or via the software somehow.

Credit card a tad different, of course then, I need to use said software or site to cancel any auto-renewal, or it's going to get charged. I'm pretty sure vbulletin would happily submit different sub types and allow them to be active since they would be different IDs (such as monthly recurring, quarterly recurring). Fry was always excellent about that if helping / refunding when notified.

And again, oldass payment APIs like that let paypal handle it any time I've used it, if you don't tell them different, it just keeps paying whoever the f*** you send stuff to - heh.

Go to paypal.com
Login
Account overview
Click gear icon for settings
Go to payments tab
Click manage automatic payments

You see the list of any active automatic payments set up on left. Click one to see the details. Cancel what you don't want. That's the best way to check them if using paypal.

htw

Reactions: EQDAB
One of the problems I have had on more than one occasion is double billing with recurring subs
its happened w monthly subs, so was being billed twice till i noticed, and most recent I had an issue of being billed for a monthly and for a 3 month at the same time
If people buy the this new sub method will it begin when their current sub method has expired since that has already been paid for?

The new Xenforo system "in theory" shouldn't let you sign up for two of the same subscriptions like vbulletin would so it gets rid of the troubles we had with of double billing. With the new forum system if you are subscribed to the Premium 1 month subscription, it won't show you the 1 year subscription as purchasable and vice versa. It also doesn't allow you to purchase the 1 month premium subscription if you already have it active on your account unlike the old system. If you do ever get double billed, hit me up, I will look into it, and refund it for you.

I will make sure any new subscription time is added on top of your current time. I haven't seen someone purchase a new premium with old premium time still remaining yet so I can't 100% confirm it is working correctly but it is simple for me to manually fix each user if this happen. Hit me up if this does happen to you. I'll will try and keep an eye on it while people convert over to the new system.

The system is still new and we're trying to figure out all the quirks. If you do have problems, hit me up and I'll get them resolved.

i picked up the yearly, with a month of premium left on my last sub, charged me right away wich i thought it would and added the time onto the end of next month for my yearly sub. Seems as tho all is working correctly :)

Hey Fry,

Just wanted to clarify there will not be anything for different available for old lifetime members moving forward. I was lifetime then expired and currently on the "post lifetime" yearly deal.

Thanks,

Reactions: MissTerious
i picked up the yearly, with a month of premium left on my last sub, charged me right away wich i thought it would and added the time onto the end of next month for my yearly sub. Seems as tho all is working correctly :)
It's actually not automatic. We've had to build a script that will notify us when people have two active subscriptions and I have been merge them. It's something I've added to my daily checklist to check.

Hey Fry,

Just wanted to clarify there will not be anything for different available for old lifetime members moving forward. I was lifetime then expired and currently on the "post lifetime" yearly deal.

Thanks,

Lifetimers get a few perks, like cheaper renewal fees, lifetime access to older mq2 versions, there own private forum, full access to forums even if subscription expired and the cool yellow color.

We have not sold new Lifetimes in many years, so it's a veterans badge of honor these days.

Ok so I think failed reading in grade school. Renewed my Lifer Classic that was expiring in Nov 2020 with the new system and Now I have a Lifetime Renewal 1year recurring that expires in Aug 20th, 2021. I am I out those 3 months? Sorry I'm thick.

Reactions: MissTerious
Ok so I think failed reading in grade school. Renewed my Lifer Classic that was expiring in Nov 2020 with the new system and Now I have a Lifetime Renewal 1year recurring that expires in Aug 20th, 2021. I am I out those 3 months? Sorry I'm thick.

I have a script that will notify me when people have both an old subscription and new subscription active and that I need to consolidate it manually. I've fixed it up for you Burdsjm.

Reactions: EQDAB and burdsjm
I have a script that will notify me when people have both an old subscription and new subscription active and that I need to consolidate it manually. I've fixed it up for you Burdsjm.
Thanks!