need some computer help

turboeq

Premium Member
Reaction score
i just got gigabyte motherboard and winxp wont load but it will still load if i use my old motherboard i call gigabyte tech support they said i have to rein stall winxp but the my computer came with it already installed and there is no way for me to get a recovery disk can any offer some help plz thanx.

you might try and see if you can get into safe mode if that doesnt work your kinda SOL because it needs drivers apparently that are not on the hard drive for the new Mobo.

i just got gigabyte motherboard and winxp wont load but it will still load if i use my old motherboard i call gigabyte tech support they said i have to rein stall winxp but the my computer came with it already installed and there is no way for me to get a recovery disk can any offer some help plz thanx.
Sounds like you changed chipsets. For example, old board = via chipset, new board = intel. Or the opposite. Something like that...

The only thing you can really do (other than reinstall), is boot with old motherboard, and download & install the chipset drivers for the new motherboard (for example, if it is an intel board, download & install the chipset drivers for it). They won't be "loaded", but will install and be available to the OS. Then shutdown, swap mb, boot up & let it PNP all the crap.

If it's not that, I dunno (but that is pretty common to hear happen to people).

htw

You buy the computer new ? If you bought it it should have a windows key regardless just re install windows and use your key.. As for recovery disk you might need to burn one yourself from a section of your hard drive that is partitioned.

Would go with what htw said first. That seems to be the most probable.

woot thanx HTW

Ya that what i had a via to an intel chipset will find the chip drivers and down load them and see what happens thanx alot.

Gah. I shoulda asked here when it happened to me.
I'm stil finding settings I need to retune.

need more help plz

ok i cann't find chipset drivers for P35 intel chipset all i get are program that scan and up date my old mortherboard can any 1 help plz.

I always get the p35 drivers from intel probably the exact link htw just posted.

A question i know the answer too !

with Windows XP, you cannot change the Motherboard or Processor without having to re-install, XP doesnt automatically search for new hardware on bootup, so it tries to boot old settings for the old hardware. Leaving you in a boot loop.
Im not sure if what HTW said works, i never tried that, makes sense tho, but a fresh install of windows will still leave all your files in Windows.old anyway if you do it right.

I was upgrading a system for a customer the other day, and ran into this problem. This doesnt happen with Vista however, as it checks the hardware before boot.

Krugerr

What I posted does indeed work, as I've done it. Personally I'd reinstall like you said, but he said he no longer has the disks I guess (go download them HEHE).

htw

?

ok think i got the right chipset drivers but do i need to put them in any specaial folder ?

Just wanted to say thanx to every 1 that posted some helpful sugguestions got it up and running thanx every 1.