MQ2 Usage on Agnarr

That's embarrassing...

Interesting how someone so sloppy would be able to get a copy of MQ that circumvents the server restriction.

Interesting how someone so sloppy would be able to get a copy of MQ that circumvents the server restriction.

Usually its not the person who got it working but the person who got it from a friend who got it from a friend who got it ...

I get it, first off we don't want people using MQ on these TLP servers because it may force DBG to crack down across the board. Further more, using Warp is an active hack and can get you ban pretty quickly...

What's MOST infuriating is how fucking stupid and irresponsible these people are with it. There are zero safety checks in whatever macro they've written. No player detection, no distance checking, absolutely fucking nothing. And if their goal is cock blocking people into VP by picking up and destroying these key pieces, they don't even fucking NEED to warp in the first place.

This is drawing unwanted attention to this community as a whole, please MQ responsibly!

I did spot a portion of the code used to disable on the true box servers, EQMule put a comment next to it which assisted in identifying the code. Perhaps mention to him that putting comments identifying the code is a bad idea because it's obvious that people aren't adhering to the hopes that we have come to an agreement as a community. Perhaps putting the comments at the head of the program would be better suited than next to the code used for disabling.

I did spot a portion of the code used to disable on the true box servers, EQMule put a comment next to it which assisted in identifying the code. Perhaps mention to him that putting comments identifying the code is a bad idea because it's obvious that people aren't adhering to the hopes that we have come to an agreement as a community. Perhaps putting the comments at the head of the program would be better suited than next to the code used for disabling.

You comment what each section does so whoever is working on it in the future knows where to look or so you dont forget :rolleyes:

You comment what each section does so whoever is working on it in the future knows where to look or so you dont forget :rolleyes:

I agree with the sentiment. But in this case the results are potentially detrimental to the MQ2 Community. The code itself would still be open source, even without the comment. Not to say that nobody would potentially be able to alter the code, and likely the damage is already done at this point. Just an observation. In retrospect, it is possible that the creation of all plugins include a variation of the truebox block.

But to be honest the expectation that nobody in the community would circumvent the design to prevent truebox server usage of MQ2 is likely the same as the sentiment that Verant initially had that nobody would circumvent their code in order to cheat. I suppose more likely the expectation was that potentially everyone with access to MQ2 source would possibly attempt circumvention of the code. I'm actually a bit surprised that it took this long to be brought to light. This is a prime example of not cheating smarter (The thread that is). I personally haven't enabled active hacks since returning to EQ. But I'm not everyone. Hopefully DBG see's it as an isolated group and hits them with the hammer as opposed to the start of a MQ2 patch war.

to be honest it was probably done when it was added but they stayed low profile and someone they gave the release to on agnarr abused it.

to be honest it was probably done when it was added but they stayed low profile and someone they gave the release to on agnarr abused it.
I agree that is likely the case. While, as an up and coming programmer, I would like to believe that anyone with the knowledge to circumvent the block also be intelligent enough to avoid detection by means of a common player (Don't make it obvious to the players around you and such). But I know that simply isn't the way the world works.

My only surprise is they're capable of getting warp to work on TLP. The source out in the world today is a bit old, with some development background they can update it. The offset is something they'd have to get themselves as they won't be able to extract it from any known means I can think of (not too difficult either).

The old source you can find though doesn't have detection methods, so that's what I'm researching a bit now as how they're able to do that.