MQ2 and Linux?

dewey2461

Developer
Reaction score
I have a friend who is interested in trying this new game called everquest.

He's got EQ running under linux.

Is anyone running MQ2 under linux?

( He's using Wine not a VM )

It's been a while, but yes. If our release doesn't work under Linux currently, let me know and I will make it so.

Is he using just the base WINE or one of the repackaged gaming WINE things like PlayOnLinux or something?

It's been a while, but yes. If our release doesn't work under Linux currently, let me know and I will make it so.

I've been trying to get it to run on Linux in wine, and so far no such luck.

I can use winetricks to install the proper vcrun libraries just fine, but .net installation is a pain in the ass. It seems like it is a newer than .net 4.0 install, so I've reset my prefix several times trying to get whatever version it might be using to work.

If an older version of MMOLoader would work, I'd happily try that instead.

I somewhat doubt it, but maybe the program could compile under mono?

*Edit. Progress, but still doesn't actually work. I've gotten it to display the login screen, but it produces errors when I try to login.

It uses 4.7.1. Due to some of the code I use, I might be able to build on 4.5, but that would be a minimum due to dependencies for libraries that don't exist previous to that (would have to try it, not where I can right now).

htw

I was able to install 4.7.2, but it still won't get past the login window.

I don't know what sort of coding went into this, but stay with what you've got. I mostly just wanted the map and to load my two toons on at the same time with just a click.

My Windows PC should be back from getting fixed soon anyway =)

hello ALL, new member, old timer tech guy super excited to see a new angle to this old game :rolleyes: !!pipe it I told you I was old!!

anyways, been nice to myself this year, got myself crossover 18.1 and this bad-boy-access, boy does ROF2 run sweet under Linux Mint, totally blown away, was slow and tricky last time I tryd

so got myself my first Group running on my own private server with a old standard MQ2 build Sept 23, 2004, moving around so far, getting to know the commands

have not been able to get you guys's build to run under linux, figured I ask and see what would be the newest client I would have best chance to run and/or instructions how to

with best regards from a old grumpy Icelandic Viking

hello ALL, new member, old timer tech guy super excited to see a new angle to this old game :rolleyes: !!pipe it I told you I was old!!

anyways, been nice to myself this year, got myself crossover 18.1 and this bad-boy-access, boy does ROF2 run sweet under Linux Mint, totally blown away, was slow and tricky last time I tryd

so got myself my first Group running on my own private server with a old standard MQ2 build Sept 23, 2004, moving around so far, getting to know the commands

have not been able to get you guys's build to run under linux, figured I ask and see what would be the newest client I would have best chance to run and/or instructions how to

with best regards from a old grumpy Icelandic Viking
I don't currently have a linux system or VM to test on, so can only offer a few points.

I am assuming when you mean it won't run, that you mean MMOLoader isn't running/logging in correctly?

Our release does require VS2017 (VS2015) C++ redist x86. Also .net framework 4.7.1.

What is your setup? Wine? Do you have those prereqs installed & working correctly?

You could try looking at the event log (I am assuming wine provides a method for windows event logging/viewing compat). Besides checking the typical admin/system logs, also look under Applications and Services Log for MMOLoader (or however/wherever your emulator keeps that info, if at all).

I will put it on my list to set up a test system and see what I can do, if you can provide me as much detail as you can please, including what distro (including architecture), what emulator (wine?), their versions, and of course about your redists (vc++ and .net). Anything else you can think of for me to duplicate your general setup would be cool.

I've can run/test under a VM, but I do have enough hardware lying around, i7's, etc., to be able to build one to test also.

As far as your question about which EQ EMU dist, it doesn't matter, mmoloader is the same build for all of them. Titanium at least uses VC++ 2010 x86 distro instead of VC++ 2015/2017, but that's the only real difference (mmoloader still uses .net 4.7.1 on all).

Let me know, thanks!

htw

I am working way to much these days, so zero stress !

I am currently running Linux Mint 18 and 19, I can however set up any system in about 30min so not stuck on anything limiting. Got both Wine Staging and Crossover 18.1

Crossover is by far the King of getting shit done under Linux

I will try your very much appreciated suggestions on Sunday

Lill be exciting to test and have some fun with this, will report progress, thx again

Got it working with .NET 4.6, have VC++2015 also, running under Crossover 18.1

so thx alot

I have a fresh install of Linux Mint that I will make step by step instructions for both Wine and Crossover at some point.

to excited to go learn the tricks right now :)