MMOLoader: Updates, Comments, Discussion, and FAQ

htw

Developer
Reaction score
Here are a few things, I will edit it and add to at over time.

1 - I just got a message popup near my tray, and it went away before I could read what it said. How can I know what it said again?

Right click MMOLoader tray icon for menu, then click Options, then click "Display Last Msg Received".

2 - I prefer popup windows, instead of tray messages. Can those be shown?

Right click MMOLoader tray icon for menu, then click Options, then click "Use Message Window Popups". I'll warn you that popping up a browser like window is not going to seem "unobtrusive" though. To put it back to the old way, with using tray messages, just go back into options and click "Use Message Window Popups" again, so that it is unchecked.

3 - I get a popup message when I try to start MMOLoader, that says "You are using an old (and unsupported) version of mmoloader. Go to MMOBugs.com and download the latest loader or latest compile.", or other popup message that is similar. What do I do?

Follow this link and download MMOLoader.exe & the 3 DLL files in that post, and put them in your MQ2 directory, overwriting any files already there: MMOLoader Manual Update thread

4 - I get a popup message when I start MMOLoader, that says "You are not using the latest loader version. It is recommended you download and use the latest loader from mmobugs.com forums to prevent future login issues. The latest mmoloader version is x.x.x.x". What do I do?

See the answer to question #3.

5 - I get a popup message when I start MMOLoader, that says "You are not using the latest plugins/compile. It is recommended you download and use the latest compile from mmobugs.com forums to help prevent any MQ2 issues. The latest compile version is xxxxxx." What do I do?

Follow this link and download the updated compile, being sure to overwrite all DLL & EXE files at the least. MMOBugs MQ2 Installation - Latest Release

6 - How do I know what version of mmoloader I am running?

Right click MMOLoader tray icon, and click on About. The version information is shown near the top under the "MacroQuest2 Loader" title.

7 - How do I tell what date/versions my MQ2 plugins are?

Right click MMOLoader tray icon, and click on About. The plugin dates/versions are shown in the lower pane. You can also right click in the plugin list window, and do Select All, then right click again, and Copy Selection To Clipboard, so you can paste that information in an email, post, etc. if needed.

8 - Mmoloader keeps downloading the same update again and again, each time I start it, unless I tell it not to get the update. What's wrong?

Usually this is caused by some kind of "system protection", such as antivirus, antispyware, registry monitor, etc., that prevents the update process from updating your registry to match the version of the loader that was just downloaded; OR the same kind of software prevents the updater from overwriting your old mmoloader.exe. Get with your protection software support personnel, or read up on it, on how to add the mmoloader update process to your exceptions, or disable your protection software while mmoloader updates. Another common cause is permissions. You need to be running mmoloader with administrator privileges, and if using vista with UAC (User Account Control), you need to allow elevation.

9 - Occassionally, I get a "logged in" popup from the tray, while I am in game. Can I disable that notification?

Yes. Right click loader icon, Options, and make sure Enable Login Check Popups is NOT checked.

10 - I get these tray popups when I start the loader, about logging in, checking for updates, etc. Can I disable these?

Yes. Right click loader icon, Options, and check "Disable Tray Popups".

11 - I get these tray popup messages sometimes, about a new version of the compile being out, etc. Can I disable these?

Yes. Right click loader icon, Options, and uncheck "Enable Server Messages".

12 - If my internet connection goes down for quite a while, I notice I am logged out on the loader. Can I log in again without restarting mmoloader?

Yes - Right click loader icon, Options, and click on "MMOBugs Login".

13 - I would rather be asked for my password each time I start the loader, as this is a shared PC. Can I do that?

Yes - Right click loader icon, Options, and make sure "Remember Password" is not checked.

14 - I want to use EQBCS. Can the loader start that for me?

Yes - Right click loader icon, Options, and under EQBCS you can control it. If EQBCS is grayed out, that is because the loader does not see eqbc.exe, eqbcs.exe, or mq2eqbcs.exe in the same directory as the loader is located in.

15 - What other kind of menu items are available in the loader?

If you right click the loader icon, the menu has several help & link entries. Under help are several links that will open up information in your browser. Under Links, there are EQ & MQ2 related website links, as well as "Contacts" to send email to if you wish.

16 - I keep getting a message about the loader not being able to contact mmobugs.com, check your firewall, blah blah. What causes this?

The mmobugs.com site is 99% reliable, and it is rare that it is down, but it does happen. If the site is down, you will get this message. Also, as the message implies, a problem with your end can cause it. Check your firewall software, router, internet connection, etc. to make sure the loader is allowed to connect to mmobugs.com.

17 - How can I tell if I am logged in OK in the loader?

The tray icon is blue if you are logged in, and red if you are not. Also, if you hover your mouse cursor over that icon in the tray, you will get a little hint message telling you your login status.

18 - I start the loader, it looks like it logs in OK, but then immediately seems to quit with no message. What's wrong?

Verify that your system date is accurate, and not set to some future month/year.

19 - MMOLoader wants to update itself, but keeps failing - goes into a loop, or just errors out. What can I do?

You can manually update it. Download from this link and copy it over your MMOLoader.exe in your MQ2 dir, then run MMOLoader. (NOTE: This link is for live, for test or emu servers, that will require the type added to the end, e.g. updates-rof2, updates-uf, updates-test, etc.)

20 - Does mmoloader use any hotkeys? If so, can I disable this feature?

Yes, mmoloader uses what's called a 'hook' hotkey, to enable/disable 'injection'. Injection is what happens that hooks MQ2 into EQ, and makes it work. If you want to leave the loader running, but temporarily disable injection, you would use the hotkey to toggle it off (the mmoloader tray icon will change to red to indicate this). To turn it back on, hit the hotkey again, and injection is enabled (tray icon will return to blue). The hotkey mmoloader currently uses is Ctrl-Alt-= (this cannot be changed). You can disable the hotkey altogether if you wish: 1) Exit mmoloader if it's running. 2) In your MQ2 directory, edit MMOLoader.ini, and edit/add under [Settings] UseHookHotKey=0

21. I'm having problems with compile patching. Can I bypass it?

Yes, you can. Use the patchme switch, the same way you bypass patching for everquest. Just add it to the command line, like: C:\MQ2\MMOLoader.exe patchme
You will want to run patcher every once in a while though to update MMOLoader.exe, or manually update it like the previous question in this thread mentions (manual download link).

22. I want the loader to bypass patching specific plugins or files. How can I make it quit updating or offering to update these files?

Edit or create MMOLoader.ini in your MQ2 dir (same dir as MMOLoader.exe).

Add section and files to exclude from check, like:

[date_exclusions]
MQ2MyPlugin.dll=1
MQ2Log.dll=1
GMEnter.wav=1
MQUI_DoCrackWnd.xml=1

--------------------------------
I will add more as we come up with entries. Feel free to post replies, with your own suggestions, and I will get them added in.

htw

Last edited:
mmoloader: mmoloader.exe - entry point not found

i get that error box and inside the error box it says :

The procedure entry point DecodePointer could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.

when I click ok i then get

The procedure entry point EncodePointer could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.

those 2 errors just got back and forth everytime i click. This error started about 3 weeks ago but would let me use the program but not just keeps popping this error up. I have re downloaded everything and made sure I have been updated. I also shut down my antivirus just incase.. (Vipre)
please help?

i get that error box and inside the error box it says :

The procedure entry point DecodePointer could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.

when I click ok i then get

The procedure entry point EncodePointer could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.

those 2 errors just got back and forth everytime i click. This error started about 3 weeks ago but would let me use the program but not just keeps popping this error up. I have re downloaded everything and made sure I have been updated. I also shut down my antivirus just incase.. (Vipre)
please help?
I will be putting in an OS version check in loader this weekend, to make sure people understand the minimum requirements now for our compile.

The error you are seeing is technically not the loader itself - it is from mq2main.dll.

The minimum system requirements for running our compile are:

Windows XP SP2 or higher
Windows XP x64 SP1 or higher
Windows Vista 32/64
Windows 7 32/64
Windows Server 2003 SP1 or higher
Windows Server 2008
Linux with wine emulation (and emulation minimum above OS requirements)

This was a result of us upgrading to Visual Studio 2010 to do our compile, which Microsoft has dropped developement support for any OS not meeting the above requirements.

Good odds you are seeing this on an XP box, that is either original (no service packs) or only has SP1.

htw

I was afraid of that..you are correct. I only have sp1 on this box. It is my main gaming machine but looks like I will need to do a full backup of my games and reinstall XP.

20 - I start the loader, it looks like it logs in OK, but then immediately seems to q

I get the listed error 20 - I start the loader, it looks like it logs in OK, but then immediately seems to quit with no message. What's wrong?

Verify that your system date is accurate, and not set to some future month/year..

I just installed. Originally I installedf the latest one for live servers but I am using an emulater server so it informed my that the version I am using doesnt match up. So, I uninstalled, allowed it to delete all folders when prompted and reinstalled the older version from the site in a new folder.

Now, it wont load. I log in. It says it is logging in then it disappears.
I verified my system has the correct timezone, time, date, year.

Last edited:
I get the listed error 20 - I start the loader, it looks like it logs in OK, but then immediately seems to quit with no message. What's wrong?

Verify that your system date is accurate, and not set to some future month/year..

I just installed. Originally I installedf the latest one for live servers but I am using an emulater server so it informed my that the version I am using doesnt match up. So, I uninstalled, allowed it to delete all folders when prompted and reinstalled the older version from the site in a new folder.

Now, it wont load. I log in. It says it is logging in then it disappears.
I verified my system has the correct timezone, time, date, year.
You are using the emu. That was my fault, I forgot to sync the emu version of loader when I did the live one, to version 3.0.0.4. Make sure your mmoloader updates itself, and you should be fine.

htw

We're good! After I updated this morning to 3.0.0.4 it loads correctly. Thanks much!

after running the loader... it wont log in and the website will not open in internet explorer.. says either firewall is blocking or network connection is down... all firewalls are turned off..

got that now it says it failed to start because d3dx9_40.dll was not found

When I started mmoloader after the new release last night it said there was an update. So I updated and then I exited mmoloader (only because I've had the issue I'm going to mention next in the past). I launch mmoloader again and it tells me I have outdated plugins and that I should remove them. I do this and then (even if I exit after this) I do 'check for updates' and those same plugins are re-downloaded. I exit and restart mmoloader and it complains that I have outdated plugins. The cycle continues.

This is a standard xp pro install. no virus protection or any kind of priv issues as my user is an admin.

When I started mmoloader after the new release last night it said there was an update. So I updated and then I exited mmoloader (only because I've had the issue I'm going to mention next in the past). I launch mmoloader again and it tells me I have outdated plugins and that I should remove them. I do this and then (even if I exit after this) I do 'check for updates' and those same plugins are re-downloaded. I exit and restart mmoloader and it complains that I have outdated plugins. The cycle continues.

This is a standard xp pro install. no virus protection or any kind of priv issues as my user is an admin.
what plugins is it telling you are outdated?

what plugins is it telling you are outdated?

I actually just did a CLEAN mmoloader auto setup install on a different machine and I am getting the same thing. It asks to delete the following:

AASpend
Bzsrch
Chatfilter
CLoot
CompassUtils
Fog
GetMission

After that I exit MMOLoader. I start it again and it logs in. When I do 'Check for updates' those same plugins are in the list. Rinse, repeat.

I actually just did a CLEAN mmoloader auto setup install on a different machine and I am getting the same thing. It asks to delete the following:

AASpend
Bzsrch
Chatfilter
CLoot
CompassUtils
Fog
GetMission

After that I exit MMOLoader. I start it again and it logs in. When I do 'Check for updates' those same plugins are in the list. Rinse, repeat.
http://www.mmobugs.com/forums/163384-post6.html

htw

HTW, I am noticing pretty poor download speeds when updating MMOLoader via the app itself. How are updates downloaded, and is it direct from mmobugs or P2P etc?

Maybe a download speed would be good to see?

HTW, I am noticing pretty poor download speeds when updating MMOLoader via the app itself. How are updates downloaded, and is it direct from mmobugs or P2P etc?

Maybe a download speed would be good to see?
v4 has multi-threaded downloads (http), speed indication, etc. So that was one of the things already on my list.

v3 (current) uses a single thread, and single ftp connection. It is direct from the site.

htw

Updated to 4.0.2.0. Did a lot of work on injection, multiloader, and other misc. minor adjustments (sys info mainly).

Please make sure it's a loader comment or issue if posting in this thread. If compile/plugin related, it goes in the problem report thread. If you're not sure, just post in the problem report thread.

This is esp. true with MQ2/EQ crashes (loader doesn't do that, MQ2 does), or things like MQ2AutoLogin (again, loader has no control over that, MQ2 does).

Speaking of MQ2AutoLogin, did a lot of testing with WinEQ2, Inner Space, ISBoxer, EQLaunch, and batch scripts (6 to 8 sessions). MQ2AutoLogin works decent, but please be sure you are using reasonable values for things like delay between session launches - or MQ2AutoLogin can and will step all over itself between the different sessions.

htw