Guide How to play multiple copies of EQ on a single computer/truebox server

Fry

Fry Guy
Reaction score
Website
www.mmobugs.com
Came across this on reddit today. I have not tested it, use at your own risk.

Thought about this and decided there's no point keeping it a secret. Would be nice to see DBG fix this but I don't think they can. If they won't or can't then at least everyone can benefit instead of a few top raiding guilds.

How to play multiple copies of EQ on a truebox server and single computer. This is not detectable and I'm aware of several players in top guilds (present and past) who have used this to bypass truebox.

Few things you'll need to get started.

VMware (you can find a cracked copy on just about any torrent site) Windows operating system ISO or CD (I use windows 7) Note: Don't worry about activation or servicepack updates, you can play just fine without

1. Install VMware 2a. Create a virtual machine (VM) 2b. Few tips; when creating a new VM, you just need to make it as barebones as possible. 2 gigs ram and about 25 gigs of HD space per virtual machine should do ya.

2. Install Everquest on the VM.

3. Make special note of the name you chose for your virtual machine, you're going to need it later.

4. Go to this file path: Documents > Virtual Machines > Name of your new virtual machine > VMware virtual machine configuration file. Open in notepad

5. Insert this line of code

monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = "true"

6. Save and exit out of the VMware config file

7. Start up your virtual machine, start up EQ, you should no longer get a message you are using a virtual machine

8. Congratulations you are now able to bypass truebox code and play multiple versions of EQ on a single PC.

Yes it's this easy. You can also use SEQ and MQ2 within machines, effectively making truebox code pointless. GLHF.

If what they say is true about MQ2, this will certainly open a can of worms.

• Love
Reactions: EQDAB
I would say be weary on it just due to the fact that dbg does search for vmware or any VM driver components. Several post out there about DBG banning accounts based on them using VMWare in general.

This might bypass it, but I can see them scanning and doing a sweep on it

I would be really weary of this. The more popular it becomes the more likely a ban wave will happen. But whatever makes you feel good.

I thought MQ2 was coded to detect if on one of the truebox servers and not work if so? Not sure how running in a VM would change that? I haven't actually looked into it, just assumed it would be doing something like that, otherwise there would be no stopping people using it outside of VMs on those servers either.

I thought MQ2 was coded to detect if on one of the truebox servers and not work if so? Not sure how running in a VM would change that? I haven't actually looked into it, just assumed it would be doing something like that, otherwise there would be no stopping people using it outside of VMs on those servers either.
It's just telling people how to box, I reckon - not anything about MQ2.

htw

MQ

I see how this bypasses truebox via the VM. How would it bypass MQ2's truebox detection ? or i assume that person is mistaken.

"Yes it's this easy. You can also use SEQ and MQ2 within machines, effectively making truebox code pointless. GLHF."

• Wow
I see how this bypasses truebox via the VM. How would it bypass MQ2's truebox detection ? or i assume that person is mistaken.

"Yes it's this easy. You can also use SEQ and MQ2 within machines, effectively making truebox code pointless. GLHF."

It would not

Phinny is no-BOX (enforced by DBG) and no-MQ2 (enforced by MQ2 Devs)

• Wow
Has anyone tried this yet? Just curious as I'm kinda tired of hooking up computers and having shit everywhere.

Thanks

Has anyone tried this yet? Just curious as I'm kinda tired of hooking up computers and having shit everywhere.

Thanks

Have not, but heard people get banned after a couple days even with VM route.

• Sad
sorry about such a late to the party reply but is this still a valid way to box? I recently started up on manger and have been using 3 computers and it works but I would like to simplify

I use this method to 6 box on 3 computers. Each running one EQ client and each running a VM with an EQ client.

I use hotkeynet to broadcast keystrokes (with a delay added to the commands to stop me from getting trueboxed)

Wish MQ2 was a thing here but I understand, no matter how stupid it is.

I used to run modbot hardcore with isboxer and a real nice setup. This is such a step back. Wish we had a TLP where they didnt bust balls about mq2

anyone still doing this? every time I enter monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = "true" this line of code breaks the VM, I
get desktop window manager has stopped responding and nothing works, along with vmtools seems to stop working as well.

if i remove the code everything works, but i get the you cannot play on a vm message

Last edited:
  • Sad
I just use a plain vanilla virtual box and haven't had any issues if that's an option for you

So I have a few VM's running, but how do you get eqbcs to connect across the VM's to main box? I have tried just connecting to IP address like the guide says, but it doesn't work. There has to be something in network I am missing.

So I have a few VM's running, but how do you get eqbcs to connect across the VM's to main box? I have tried just connecting to IP address like the guide says, but it doesn't work. There has to be something in network I am missing.

Are you sure you have the server listening on your local ethernet interface (address)? Or listening on all interfaces (0.0.0.0)? If you do, and not firewalled the connection, then your clients (vm) would just /bcconnect ipaddr port

I am not sure about that since I am a newb at vm. Setup with hyper-v and used default switch. EQBCS is running on 127.0.0.1 port 2112 which I believe is the default.

Update: Had to unblock port 2112 then it worked.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-11 103013.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-11 103013.png
    20 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Just contemplating returning to paid EQ status on 3 accounts if I can easily box them to do small stuff initially. I see this truebox thing mentioned and am confused as to what it exactly is and does, some kind of cheat detection I take it.
I have successfully logged all 3 accounts at same time on my laptop. I have yet to do anything but buffs and rezzes with them yet. I also have not had any kind of warning or indication of restrictions on this.
Of course they are all relatively lower level accounts [all in 87 range] and all I have done is take them out one at a time to get myself used to EQ functions again. Gawd I feel like such a newb again lol. Its only been 12 years!
At any rate I have left all 3 logged on all day in GL to accumulate the best buffs with no problems. So this talk of truebox and limiting accounts logged on one computer are confusing to me. I was used to 3 boxing with MQ2 and warping all over before the big crackdown