Farming Pegasus Feather Cloak with ease.

huntn4it

Reaction score
Guide to Quillmane spawning/farming

This might seem simpleton to some, as this really just does what trackers can do without MQ; however, the process is much simpler and more accurate with MQ2Map.

Requirements: MQ2Map

Process:

1. Zone into South Karana, type /tar Quillmane. When you see that he is not up (lol) open up your map, and type /maphide npc

2. Type the following:

First:

/maphide npc

Then:

/mapshow lion
/mapshow wolf
/mapshow cyclops
/mapshow egret
/mapshow charger
/mapshow courser
/mapshow elephant
/mapshow escaped

Then:

/maphide bull
/maphide calf
/maphide adult​

You should be left with the exactly the following NPCs shown on your map:

an elephant
a lion
a lioness
an aviak egret
an escaped gnoll
a mist wolf
a cyclops
an undead cyclops
an escaped splitpaw gnoll
a centaur charger
a centaur courser​

If you have anything on your map not listed here, hold CTRL and right click it on your map, it will disappear.
If you have any of the non-wandering NPCs shown around the aviak camps or around splitpaw, filter them out as well with CTRL+right click.

3. Start slaughtering all of the NPC's that are shown on your map.

4. Every 72-78 seconds, they will respawn. Regardless of what they are when they respawn, even if you have previously /maphide them from the map, they will be shown. If they respawn as ANYTHING other than what is listed above (for example if they spawn as a bull elephant), CTRL+Right Click them on the map and LEAVE THEM ALONE. This removes them from the map, and we know they are not Quillmane's PH. This includes named NPCs other than Quillmane.

5. Rapidly you will have filtered out a the majority of the NPCs from the map - because every spawn cycle EXCEPT for Quillmane has an NPC in it's cycle that will cause you to remove it from your map, eventually leaving you with only Quillmane's PH.

6. When Quillmane pops, WAIT. *WAIT AT LEAST 78 SECONDS* This allows anything in the zone that was dead to respawn.

7. Clear everything from your map except Quillmane, then kill him.

8. 78 seconds later, Quillmane's PH will pop back up on your map.

9. Congratulations, you have isolated Quillmane's placeholder, once you're only focused on one mob, spawning him can be done in rapid succession. I've had him spawn back-to-back multiple times before. On average, though, I'd say he spawns 1/20-1/50 placeholder kills.

Grats on your cloaks, and hopefully anybody doing a Mage 1.0 has one less headache to worry about.

-hunt

Last edited:
Very nice writeup! I dont foresee ever having to mess with Quillmane again in my EQ Carreer but a very nice guide none the less.

DODH Misson, thats cake for any 90-100 to clear the entire zone in a matter of minutes. Last time i did this, i got 2 Swiftmantles in 6 clears, about 2 hours total time. and about 100k cash items/gems vendor trash. Its a Random drop.

If your not a low lvl toon, do this misson....you cant beat instant click

From Stoneroot Falls, Elder Longshadow #1

SWIFTMANTLE

Has some other nice clicky items as randoms as well..

DODH Misson, thats cake for any 90-100 to clear the entire zone in a matter of minutes. Last time i did this, i got 2 Swiftmantles in 6 clears, about 2 hours total time. and about 100k cash items/gems vendor trash. Its a Random drop.

SWIFTMANTLE

Also a great place to power level an alt while getting some mantles.

SWIFTMANTLE

Sadly, that doesn't replace the cloak as an epic piece which is about the only reason it would be farmed nowadays, I think.

Great writeup, i've done this a few times and it's a pain in the ass. Having a good write up that actually works is nice.

Thanks man, keep it up!

gave this 2 runs and didn't seem to work, thinking there is one animal left of the visable list for PH's

gave this 2 runs and didn't seem to work, thinking there is one animal left of the visable list for PH's

I made the list by isolating Quillmane and killing his respawning placeholder for about 10 quillmane spawns. I suppose it IS possible that, by chance, I never saw one of his possible PH mobs. It seems unlikely - if you find another Quillmane guide that lists additional possible PH's let me know, I'll test it out, and update this guide.

I am running into the same problem. After following the directions I ran out of mobs on the map. I unhid everything and started over. 2 hours later I came back and did it again and was out of mobs after about 45 minutes.

I saw this post on Alla's in the quillmane bestiary entry, maybe it is credible or maybe someone being fussy:

2. I am not sure if other people were picking up the random repops, but the only mobs that I encountered spawning Quillmane were: a lion, a lioness, a centaur charger, a centaur archer, a centaur courser, a centaur foal, a centaur sheltie, a mist wolf, a shadow wolf, an elephant, and an escaped splitpaw gnoll. I never killed any aviaks, treants, or cyclops. This was in an empty zone, killing ONE mob every 68 seconds.

Have some extra time today. Going to give this a try, and see what happens. Thanks!

There's a PH that's missing. :(

Spent the last hour, clearing out the zone, and hiding spawns, and my maps now empty, and no quillmane or PH. :(

Hopefully we can figure out which is a PH.

Just tried this tonight and got nothing. Its obvious that we don't know the full list of Quillmane placeholders yet. The ones that I tried tonight are...

a mistwolf
an elephant
a lion
a lioness
Aviak rook
Aviak egret
Aviak darter
shadow wolf
centaur foal
escaped

All these mobs were kept down and nothing respawned. My conclusion is that is it possible that Quillmane has a placeholder not on this list.

Would this work for other PH required spawns, or is this specific to Quillmane? :cool:

I gave this a try today, and ran into the problem that most respawns don't show on map.

The latest post on alla's beasiary says the Quillmane's PH is on a 63 second timer....how do you track a specific spawn? especially when it changes? If its true then the mac we need will be one that times spawns and alerts us to spawn ID's that pop every 63 seconds.

Last edited:
For this I have always just used the mapfiend map. It has the Quillmane spawn route listed, and that is the only place I have ever seen this guy. If I'm not mistaken he spawns on a traveling path, and wanders in the same pattern. Again, I'm only speaking from experience and no hard research or numbers to produce. Anyone else have similar luck?

Not to diminish the value of this thread, but now you can buy a 2 second lev clicky in the Marketplace for $1, called Ball of Fluffy Cotton. The lev effect lasts for 1 hour. It's a very nice item that any character can buy.

Last edited:
BALL OF FLUFFY COTTON FTW. SCREW THE PAIN OF FARMING A LIL SC AND YOUR IN.

Last edited: