EQMac shutting down

Savate

Reaction score
Piestro@Eqforums

FAQ:

Is EverQuest: Macintosh Edition being shut down?
Yes. Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) is scheduled to sunset EverQuest: Macintosh Edition on November 18, 2013. No new accounts will be allowed to play EverQuest: Macintosh Edition as of October 18, 2013.

What happens to all the code/data for EverQuest: Macintosh Edition? Can someone open an emulator server for EverQuest: Macintosh Edition?
Sony Online Entertainment will retain all of the code and data from EverQuest: Macintosh Edition. Sony Online Entertainment will not license or authorize the operation of an EverQuest: Macintosh Edition emulator or fan operated EverQuest: Macintosh Edition server.

Will the EverQuest: Macintosh Edition Forums be available after the service shuts down?
All Forums associated with EverQuest: Macintosh Edition will be removed after the service shuts down.

I have a further concern and want to contact Customer Service. How do I do that?
We definitely want to help address any further concerns, and if there is some specific issue with your situation that isn’t covered but could be answered by Customer Service please follow the directions on this page. You are also welcome to post any general questions in this thread; we will be reviewing it frequently.

Last edited:
Yup was fun while it lasted, Want to say a huge thank you to mrwizeman for all the hard work he did on MQ2 made it alot more enjoyable so Thank you !

I also want to thank Mr. Wizeman. Was fun while it lasted.

eqisdead

I can't help but feel some sort of guilt for this. Maybe those people over on eqmac forums were right, pc client killed the server.

We never had any sort of warp or zone in our version of MQ2, so anyone blaming MQ2 for training/hacking incidents is wrong.

This is a pretty sad day.

I can't help but feel some sort of guilt for this. Maybe those people over on eqmac forums were right, pc client killed the server.

We never had any sort of warp or zone in our version of MQ2, so anyone blaming MQ2 for training/hacking incidents is wrong.

This is a pretty sad day.

Personally I think it's probably a combination of things. A windows client for it probably scared them for one thing. They were only maintaining the eq mac server because it was cheap for them to do so, didn't require a major server or much support.

Then, having any type of cheat at all available probably pushed them toward a shutdown, because they didn't want to commit any real man power to fixing problems on the server, policing the server, or things of that nature.

The active hacks and people abusing it was probably the final straw, as it caused an outrage on the forums and people there shouting for an answer from Sony.

Well, they got their answer. Sony isn't going to commit the resources and rather than having the server sitting out there with disgruntled players, they are just closing the doors.

I am kind of surprised though that they aren't offering any players of the eqmac server that have been on there longer than x amount of time, free characters on the live servers or something (for those that have the capability to play on a windows client of eq anyway). It wouldn't be much, but it seems like something they should do for them.

Wouldn't be happening if someone hadn't been warping into Plane of Time on a lvl 1 and training Temerity every time they tried to raid. What BS.

I think we can save everyones charinfo at least all who wants it if there is enough interest. And if we reach a certain amount of people we can set up an emu.
I will discuss this with fry and others who might have an interest in keeping the macplayers as well, im sure there are platsellers out there who might find it an interesting project 2 keep their sales on the server going.
So don't delete your characters just yet. Even if we wont set up an emu right away, someone will and at least then we have your characters saved for it.

Last edited:
I was enjoying this server so much... don't really want to go back to emu... or live.:cool:

ZippzippEMU is still up and running and is really a fun progression experience.

I just hope this isn't a portentous foreshadowing of what we're all going to experience when Sony decides all the EQ1 servers are no longer worth supporting.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I just hope this isn't a portentous foreshadowing of what we're all going to experience when Sony decides all the EQ1 servers are no longer worth supporting.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

It's not. They made it clear from the beginning they didn't have any resources to dedicate to the server. When they initially tried to shut it down the community was up in arms so they left it up. There was almost 0 GM/Guide support so it was open range. With the force zone into PoTime griefing that was pretty much the last straw that convinced them to just end it.

It's a shame that one bad apple ruined it for everyone.

I wonder what must life be like on a server in its last three weeks of existence? I mean, raiding and leveling tradeskills must lose their appeal. It would be like if scientists announced a giant asteroid was going to destroy the Earth in three weeks. I'm picturing an expanded version of the scene in Airplane when the passengers are told the plane might crash, everyone starts running around attacking each other and doing whatever they want. I suppose IRL they're be a run on booze and drugs, sex in the streets, etc., etc.

I guess on EQMac there will be a lot of going-away gatherings with sentimental tales of yore? Not trying to be a wise-ass here. And EQMac isn't the first MMORPG to have a pre-announced termination date, by any means.

What is MMO "life" like when perma-death is approaching?

I do wonder if Sony would allow character transfers OFF EQMac, since that would be a generous thing to do and surely couldn't cost them much. I doubt the majority of dedicated Mac players would be comforted by that but it's something...

I do wonder if Sony would allow character transfers OFF EQMac, since that would be a generous thing to do and surely couldn't cost them much. I doubt the majority of dedicated Mac players would be comforted by that but it's something...

The thing is most of them could not play anyway as they use Mac's

I wonder what must life be like on a server in its last three weeks of existence? I mean, raiding and leveling tradeskills must lose their appeal. It would be like if scientists announced a giant asteroid was going to destroy the Earth in three weeks. I'm picturing an expanded version of the scene in Airplane when the passengers are told the plane might crash, everyone starts running around attacking each other and doing whatever they want. I suppose IRL they're be a run on booze and drugs, sex in the streets, etc., etc.

I guess on EQMac there will be a lot of going-away gatherings with sentimental tales of yore? Not trying to be a wise-ass here. And EQMac isn't the first MMORPG to have a pre-announced termination date, by any means.

What is MMO "life" like when perma-death is approaching?

a7274e9b77dfcd36e6a20bb3809aaacb.jpg

The thing is most of them could not play anyway as they use Mac's

At least the character would exist somewhere should they ever want to see it again.