EQ PRoblems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onyaa

Reaction score
K well i got a new computer with a aflon duel proccessor, and running EQ it is like running in slowmo.. even when i change the run mod its still same. i have all stuff turned down and everything also i been hearing something about being able to run 2 programs on 1 processor and running 2 more on the other but dont know how to set stuff to processors so any information u guys have for me be awsome thanks

can u run me thro that on how to do it?

k well im just woundering why eq is running soo slow.. i have everything turned down i got 512 ram, gforce video card brand new dell i made it to work with eq so if anyone can help please do

I would suggest.

If its brand new so its proably got anti-virus running full-time , disable, plan a scan time, I would also upgrade ram ASAP,

To better help you i would have to be there, BUT a lot more people can help you, if you do this, Run a spyware ( again if brand new shouldnt need but would just in case, and adware) I would run

Hijackthis - Very nice little program. Also if you have AoL on there Good luck~ Thats a virus in itself, and Wild Tangent something like that.

Run Hijackthis, put run and save, copy the .txt on here.

Last edited:
so run spywear and run a virus that will speed it up?? lol sry not getting what ur saying.. i had problems with internet explorer crashing while moveing to fast thro sites which sucks but i just restored my comp so fresh start ima try now see how eq runs

Run your diagonistics and make sure it passes all of the system checks.

Definitely upgrade your ram to 1gb at the least asap. Eq sessions use about 600 or so mb of ram each so 512 is not even enough to run one session, it will begin to go to virtual memory (your hard drive) so that will slow you down to begin with. When you say you got a dual processor do you mean like an athlon 64 x2? If so there are some articles you might want to read. I'm copying this from the eqforums as I've seen it a myriad of places but this should work:

Updated drivers for your video card will NOT correct this issue.

AMD Dual-Core Optimizer - The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer can help improve some PC gaming video performance by compensating for those applications that bypass the Windows API for timing by directly using the RDTSC (Read Time Stamp Counter) instruction. Applications that rely on RDTSC do not benefit from the logic in the operating system to properly account for the affect of power management mechanisms on the rate at which a processor core's Time Stamp Counter (TSC) is incremented. The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer helps to correct the resulting video performance effects or other incorrect timing effects that these applications may experience on dual-core processor systems, by periodically adjusting the core time-stamp-counters, so that they are synchronized.

Guess what - EQ is very likely using the RDTSC machine instruction, and thus runs into a problem when the RDTSC instruction retrieves an unexpected value. In my case, this was inevitable for any game play period lasting longer than 10 minutes.

This situation results in a "gliding" character model that slides across the ground with only a very occasional (notably infrequent) "walk" animation, animated torch flames that start at position 1 (low) and leap to position 8 (high poof) without transitioning through the sequential 2-7 animations (personally seen in blightfire on tiki torches near the gnolls), mob animations that "warp" erraticly on screen, and spell graphics which are "jerky" and go from no display to final-animation frame. Installing this optimizer utility fixed this issue for me without causing additional problems. I would strongly advise that you study the documentation carefully before implementing this fix for your particular case, but it may be exactly what you're after.

Information on the optimizer is available from:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871,00.html

Information on the issue for programmers is:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909944/en-us

I was most relieved to find such an easy fix existed. Hope this helps you, and any others suffering from this issue. Good luck!

(PS: Devs, you might want to see about fixing the use of RDTSC, if it applies as I think it does.)

eqisdead

Status
Not open for further replies.