EQ/MQ2 issues - crashing or other - Suggestions

htw

Developer
Reaction score
Like any game, EQ players come and go. Sometimes it's years in between play times. Many users, however (whether ones coming back, or ones who have played for years) leave their old installations alone, or restore them from backup, etc. Usually their hardware has changed in one or more ways since the last time they played, though.

I wanted to post this, as I've seen an issue on the rise over the past few months, with crash issues that end up being EQ/system related, and not really MQ2.

Even if you only crash with MQ2, that doesn't necessarily mean it's MQ2's fault. MQ2 accesses certain info or functions, automatically, while your game client may not do so except under very specific circumstances.

That's not to say it's not a plugin causing you to crash. That's why I ask you to send me your info & the debug.dmp in the problem thread. Otherwise, here are just SOME of the possibilities: DirectX, video drivers, video hardware, system memory issues, operating system files or libraries, EQ configuration, one of 100+ MQ2 plugins, etc. As you can see, it's like a needle in a haystack. Asking for help with a crashing issue, without providing the information asked for, is pretty much going to get you ignored in most cases. It's nothing personal, it's because of the reasons I just stated.

Here is some generic information that may (or may not) help you with EQ issues, you are welcome to try any of them out, and if you have an opinion on (or addition to) these statements, post away - the more information we all have to work on this stuff together, the better.

Here are a generic set of EQ/system related steps to try:

1. Camp completely out of EQ, if you are in game.
  2. Open windows explorer, browse to your EverQuest installation directory.
  3. Delete eqclient.ini
  4. Delete any UI_*.ini files
  5. Delete any toonname_server.ini files (e.g., bubba_povar.ini)
  6. Delete eqdevice.txt
  7. For your EverQuest installation directory (and all files/subdirs), recursively take control & assign yourself Full Control (if you need help with this, post away, myself or someone else will give you details - be sure to say what operating system you are using)
  8. Go to microsoft.com, and get directx. You should download dxwebsetup.exe, which will check your system, to make sure you have the latest directx files.
  9. Make sure you have the latest video drivers for your video card installed (go to www.ati.com, www.nvidia.com, www.intel.com, etc. - and grab latest & install them)
  10. In your EverQuest installation dir, you will find a program called "OptionsEditor.exe". Run this, and set your default options. For resolution, don't worry if the specific one you want is not there, just pick the closest. You can change that once you get in game, with your Alt-O / Display options.
  11. Run EverQuest via station launcher or patcher (everquest.exe), and do a full scan.
  12. Log all the way into game, and set all your options up - including UI related options.
  13. In game, try different memory configuration options, to see if one fixes your issue. EQ's memory models, for most of them, suck TBH. You can find this option, in game, by going to Options (Alt-O), then the Display tab, then click the Advanced button, and find the drop-down for "Memory Mode".
For custom UIs, or custom UI elements, always make sure you review your UIErrors.txt, located in your EverQuest directory. If you have questions around any messages you get in there, post & ask, someone will help you out if possible.

Feel free to add to the list as you go, for people who have other ideas on how to chase down basic issues someone may be having, so we can all enjoy our time with EQ/MQ2. ;)

htw

Last edited:
Useful post. I had not even thought of the fact that I'm using an old EQ as being related to my MQ2 crashes. Makes sense though. Hopefully this will help with my EQDraw crashes.

FYI: The link for DirectX no longer takes you to the web installer. it now redirects you to the MS Games Marketplace..

The DXWebinstaller.exe download link is HERE instead.

Reactions: EQDAB
FYI: The link for DirectX no longer takes you to the web installer. it now redirects you to the MS Games Marketplace..

The DXWebinstaller.exe download link is HERE instead.
Thanks Red Dog, link in 1st post updated.

htw

since the last patch 1/3 of my guild has crashing issues. Nothing fixes it. The GMs say no one else is reporting anything to each of us. I have had confirmation from other guilds on other servers that it is happening there too. They have guided us to change vid drivers, directx, c++, delete dlls, remove UI and player files, download the latest patcher, its BS, nothing works. I thought it was MQ2 originally but it happens without MQ2 running. It happens in randome zones while not moving or even chatting. I wish the devs would get it so it could be fixed but the GMs are set on stonewalling us all. I appreciate this thread and you have come up with a few things they didnt but it didnt help.

iL?

dude no kidding, you must be in my guild lol xegony server maby?

Seems like I have been getting alot of CTDs while zoning with MQ running.
I have had CTDs with just EQ but only when I sometimes try to load the LoN card game. But I always crash when MQ is running and I run the LoN game.

Just an FYI.. Its not that big a deal to load EQ an MQ back up, was wondering whether there was a cure.

Read all the stuffs above. I run two laptops side by side, one is Hi performance alienware, one is just an average dell inspirion. The "hi perf" one CTDs while zoning much more than the little inspirion which almost never crashes. BUT both CTD when MQ is running and we go to load the LoN card game.

On some computers running LoN from inside game will crash you. Not sure if there is a fix for it but I use the stand alone to run LoN when I go to get my monthly cards.

Anyone try all the steps listed to fix the crashing and get no more crashing...? Iv tried all the steps and still zone crashing alot...

Known Issues
- /memspell, /memset not functional if MQ2MMOFastMem loaded (unload it)
- MQ2MMOFastMem does not work (unload it or it will stop you from right-clicking gem mem & /mempsell, /memset)
- MQ2EQDraw still needs updating
- MQ2Size and MQ2AutoSize needs some updating
- MQ2PiggyZone /gate command crashing
- MQ2BzSrch crashing
- /click left item causes crash
- MQ2AASpend broken

Given the list of issues still present, make sure nothing in the above is loaded or being used.

I have none of those loaded

/left click is that a typed command or in config...?

Last edited:
Stated from previous post I did the steps from first post... With no luck still crash multiple times while zoning....

Plugins used :

Fastmem
Speedutils
Startmacro
Xptracker
Cecho
Chatfilter
Gmcheck
Mmobugs
Mmotlo
Pluginmain
Chatwind
Bugfix
Hud
Itemdisplay
Labels
Main
Map
Cast
Debuff
Docrack

Thanx Koddi,

I have been having CTDs for months now..since I have started playing again.. Im begining to think its a Win 7 thing.. it also CTDs when camping and logging in another character on the same acct.. /shrug dunno was just an FYI

Banestrike

If its not already included and im just missing it... Anyway to get banestrike ability included in mq2melee? please!

Thank ya thank ya

hhmm don't see it when I type /melee list. Also I don't get any text when I type /melee bane=1

I had to add in a holyshit to get it to fire off. Well, holyshit for my melee and downshits for my casters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

CTD when using /zone to list zones

Haven't tried using anything else or actually zoning anywhere, just trying to get a list of zones sends you straight to desktop with crash block pop up.

If I recall the MQ2PiggyZone was updated today to address a CTD issue (which I wasn't having lol) so it appears it may have fixed some and broken others?

Anyway just a heads up.

PiggyZone

I disabled all but the required plugins and /zone still instantly CTD. It worked the day before it was updated to fix a CTD issue.