Daybreak sold

MamaBear

Premium Member
Reaction score
I wonder what this means for Everquest? Does anyone know more?

I had never heard of the company until yesterday, and in the scope of company time they were founded in 2013.

Their portfolio of self produced games looks atrocious, but have contributions in some decent titles. I dont see any titles that would hold as much current content/play style as EQ has. I would say if they actually have the developers force, they may be able to do good things provided they learn a bit about the game and come up with new ideas on it.

Setting the bar of "Cant be worse than Daybreak" seems a little harsh.

I had never heard of the company until yesterday, and in the scope of company time they were founded in 2013.

Their portfolio of self produced games looks atrocious, but have contributions in some decent titles. I dont see any titles that would hold as much current content/play style as EQ has. I would say if they actually have the developers force, they may be able to do good things provided they learn a bit about the game and come up with new ideas on it.

Setting the bar of "Cant be worse than Daybreak" seems a little harsh.
"Setting the bar of "Cant be worse than Daybreak" seems a little harsh."

Scary!

From what I've seen, EG7 is an investment firm first...that happens to focus on the gaming industry. From a youtube video they produced, some of their biggest brags were mobile gaming and participation in AAA games like Call of Duty.

From an investment perspective, I see EQ as having a lot of untapped potential in the marketplace. Things like:
1) Expand F2P to more levels/AAs (draw in more players), OR make more tiers of subscription (silver, bronze...platinum, etc.)
2) Add more heroic character levels for more $$$
3) LOTS more heritage crates with random drops (borderline gambling)
4) Pull away from the player economy by offering more items/loot/bags/rares in the marketplace for under $10.
5) Revamp player/guild housing: a) EVERYTHING is for sale in the marketplace b) Increase the upkeep cost...maybe even a new subscription?
6) Pay to lower task timers, more tiers of increased xp for varied times...no more "freebie" weekends or seasonal activities...unless you pay

Sure, things like this may drive some people away, but not everyone. I'd say by now EQ has a pretty devoted playerbase that is willing to withstand some price increases. Most people who were on the fence about leaving or moving on have done so...probably years ago.

EG7 didn't buy Daybreak to maintain a status quo. They bought it because they think they will make a return on their investment.

How would you get more money out of EQ? Don't think of it in terms of a player, think as investor. They are.