computer cpu ?

turboeq

Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok heres my ? do i have reformat harddrive if i change cpu from a intel core duo to a intel core 2 quad?

that entirely depends on what OS you are running ;)

If you are using Windows XP - Then yes, you will need to reformat since XP does not check for new hardware configurations on bootup, Vista / 7, do this, so using these OS will be fine, it will auto setup on first bootup :)

I havnt tried doing this so no gurantees, BUT in theory I dont believe you would need to even with XP.

Changing the CPU doesnt make XP shit bricks (I've changed clock speeds and even generations of CPU in a PC and XP hasnt even batted an eyelid).

The only possible problem I could forsee would be going from a single core to a multiple core processor, because you'd be using the wrong HAL. A Core 2 Duo is already using the multi processor HAL, so it should be fine in theory.

thanx for info will check a little more on the web thanx .

Ok heres my ? do i have reformat harddrive if i change cpu from a intel core duo to a intel core 2 quad?

if you don't change the Motherboard then there is no reason to reformat the HDD. All the multicre stuff will be there from the fact that you installed onto a dual core system.

Darkon is right. I have changed many parts with Win XP as an OS, and only once did I have to wipe the drive, when I put a new MB in. I even changed a cpu on a pvp800se board and booted up with standard message "Windows has found new hardware"

if you don't change the Motherboard then there is no reason to reformat the HDD. All the multicre stuff will be there from the fact that you installed onto a dual core system.

Even if you change the mobo, there are ways of forcing windows to redetect the new IDE controller on restart (which is th eonly thing that generally causes widnows to completely shit itself)

Alternatively just use Acronis with universal restore to backup the drive, and restore it on the new hardware.