Chatfontsize

McNukkah

Reaction score
I recently got a hold of a 4k screen and a 3080 (don't ask what I had to do for it), and have noticed that the chatfontsize in all but my "main" chat window will revert back to some microscopic size no matter what.

I have edited the ini's, while logged in, while logged out, etc. I went through daybreak troubleshooting before I came here just to be sure I wasn't missing anything so now I'm here asking for some advice/input.

My setup has a total of 3 chat windows in addition to the main window. Is there anyway I can add a couple lines in one of my macs to change the chatfontsize in each window when I log in (because it's a bit tedious to do so every time you log in)

Thanks for reading/helping.

edit: scaling is disabled, because EQ and scaling = fuckery.

Things I would try:
1 - check to see if any of your ini files are write only.
2 - delete your UI files and see if you create them again.

But the real questions is WHAT DID YOU DO - to score a 3080 ?

So I misspoke a bit---the ini files actually change and "hold the change." IE: right now everything is set to 10 and shows as 10 in the ini files---even after camping. However, the font will still display as much smaller (not 10) after a relog. Permissions / read/write etc are all correct on the files.

I was hoping for a solution along the lines of the way we use /notify to do stuff like click the guild hall teleport button like: /notify LargeDialogWindow LDW_YesButton leftmouseup

Right now I can achieve a rightmouseup on *one* of the chat windows, but I've got no idea why it picks that one.

I read on DBG forums others with the same issue @ 4k and no solution was found for them so I figured I'd try and figure out a way to do it via /notify

I'm failing so far.

if you change the font to something smaller does the change say in effect? .ie.

set /fontsize 1 -> log out -> log in -> still 1?
set /fontsize 2 -> log out -> log in -> still 2?

At some point in the loading there may be a check that says oh you have font 6+ and that isn't supported ...

That will not help you solve the problem but might be enough to get the EQ devs to look into the problem.

-----------------------------------

Q2: Have you explored changing your FONT to something that is just plan larger by default?

I suspect you might be able to do something like find a BIG ARIAL font and tell EQ to use that.

-----------------------------------

It should be possible to programmable loop through all the windows and change the font size but I think you'd likely have to do from a plugin because there is ( To the best of knowledge ) no way to loop over each of the chat windows.

Reactions: McNukkah
So what's weird is that I logged out and edited all the ini's so that the chatfontsize /chatfontstyle is set to 10.

Logged in and main window shows up fine, nice and big.

The other windows show up suuuuuuper tiny---(despite the ini files all still reading "10" as the setting), BUT, I noticed if I close and recreate the window, it recreates and the font size is 10. But, I also realized that I'd have to close, re-create, and then address all the filters to each window every time which is waaaaay more arduous than just typing /chatfontsize 10 in every single window.

I did some digging and I was able to recreate the issue you describe.

Several of the MQ2 Windows have a method for setting the "stlye" of the font 1-10 but there is no generic ${Window[...].SetChatFontStyle} method which means we can't do it from macro land.

I tried to use "/notify" to manually "type /chatfontsize 10" but couldn't get that to work. Someone more familiar may be able to offer a suggestion

Which leads me to the plugin route.

I might be able to write a plugin that gets a list of all the windows, then cycles through each of them to see if it a "chat" window, and then call the EQ function to set the ChatFontStyle but that's not trivial and might need require access to the core MQ window list which is not exposed to plugins.

2hr researching your issue and ZERO hope on my end for you.

At this point I would suggest maybe looking into some form of "upscaler" at the windows level, bugging the EQ devs to fix the issue, or asking a MQ dev to implement a fix for it in the core code.

Reactions: McNukkah
I did some digging and I was able to recreate the issue you describe.

Several of the MQ2 Windows have a method for setting the "stlye" of the font 1-10 but there is no generic ${Window[...].SetChatFontStyle} method which means we can't do it from macro land.

I tried to use "/notify" to manually "type /chatfontsize 10" but couldn't get that to work. Someone more familiar may be able to offer a suggestion

Which leads me to the plugin route.

I might be able to write a plugin that gets a list of all the windows, then cycles through each of them to see if it a "chat" window, and then call the EQ function to set the ChatFontStyle but that's not trivial and might need require access to the core MQ window list which is not exposed to plugins.

2hr researching your issue and ZERO hope on my end for you.

At this point I would suggest maybe looking into some form of "upscaler" at the windows level, bugging the EQ devs to fix the issue, or asking a MQ dev to implement a fix for it in the core code.

...I fuckin' love you for trying. That's why I stay subbed here even when I'm not actively playing.

Edit:
I was considering, since my chat windows don't move, having a macro do a left click on the x y z coords of the "chat window input" then having it type out/input /chatfontsize 10