Ancient Cloak Of Flames

I've killed over 4000 fire giants now looting with my warrior. Warrior has/had the overhaste buff, but does not have an ACoF on inventory. I think I took off the overhaste buff by kill 3000 or so thinking that might affect a corpse having the cloak when my warrior loots. 1000+ kills later, no change.

I decided to switch to my wizard looting. Only up to 400 kills and still no cloak, but when he loots, the corpse seems to have a much higher chance of having something besides a "Throwing Boulder". 4000+ kills on my warrior and all he ever looted were "Throwing Boulders" and one ....something else, I forget. But with 394 kills on my wizard, he has looted "Throwing Boulders", 3x scale ore, 5x Stone of Tranquility and an ornament. Just wondering if the class of the looter makes a difference or if anyone has looted an ACoF with a warrior?

I'd be shocked if that mattered. I think more likely the RNG was just really terrible to you.

Case and point... I've gone over a week with zero CoTF rare item drops, and then got two within a couple hours of each other.

Drop rate is 1/5000 on the cloaks and rings, +/- 5000 deviation.

Drop rate is about 1/12000 on CotF +/- 12k mob deviation.

I'd think it doesn't matter too, but over 4000 kills/looting with my warrior, lets just say 4000.

So 3999 times, my warrior only sees and loots Throwing Boulder. Only once was there anything other than just a Throwing Boulder on the corpse.

Compared to 600 kills/looting on my wizard and he has looted 600 Throwing Boulder, 6x Stone of Tranquility, 4 Scale Ore and one ornament.

I know in expansions like TDS if you do a loot X item quest per group member, if all 6 has none of the items needed, every kill usually drops a high number of that item. Once you start looting it, the drop rate goes down significantly, so I always killed a bunch of the mob before looting any and the drop rate stayed high for each kill.

I just don't think RNG explains why in 4000+ kills, my warrior only sees the throwing boulder in nearly every single looting and nothing else and then my wizard with only 600 lootings, sees 11 other things on the corpse besides the throwing boulder. I dunno, but I think I'll keep setting my wizard as the looter lol

Last edited:
Believe it has nothing to do who is the looter.
what matters is how many mobs killed in the zone.

I'd think it doesn't matter too, but over 4000 kills/looting with my warrior, lets just say 4000.

So 3999 times, my warrior only sees and loots Throwing Boulder. Only once was there anything other than just a Throwing Boulder on the corpse.

Compared to 600 kills/looting on my wizard and he has looted 600 Throwing Boulder, 6x Stone of Tranquility, 4 Scale Ore and one ornament.

I know in expansions like TDS if you do a loot X item quest per group member, if all 6 has none of the items needed, every kill usually drops a high number of that item. Once you start looting it, the drop rate goes down significantly, so I always killed a bunch of the mob before looting any and the drop rate stayed high for each kill.

I just don't think RNG explains why in 4000+ kills, my warrior only sees the throwing boulder in nearly every single looting and nothing else and then my wizard with only 600 lootings, sees 11 other things on the corpse besides the throwing boulder. I dunno, but I think I'll keep setting my wizard as the looter lol

This made me lol.

You don't even have to kill any specific mob either and can camp just 1 spawn as long as you kill it withing 2-3 standard deviations from the drop rate, you'll get a rare drop 99% of the time. So 15k mobs or so for nagafen's lair/mistmoore.

But do w/e makes you feel happy.

I camp those cloaks every year to use as donation incentives, and I can tell you with 100% certainty, that it doesn't matter if you have one or more cloaks in your inventory already and it doesn't matter if you have the buff on or not, they drop and they are rare, that's all.

Ya, I'm full of stupidstition stuff lol. But went back for another go and not even 10 kills in got an ACoF with my warrior looting. Feel a lot better, just wanted one more cloak so my warrior, paladin and ranger could click off item buffs at will and not have to go through unattuning a cloak to do so.

Click off item buffs? Unattuning? Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the ACoF give the AA now? Only reason to have the buff up is for dispell purposes as it does nothing and there are easier ways to get filler buffs. Or did I miss something?