1 toon per core / 4 core

Dinekus

Lifetimer
Reaction score
I read some where about people assigning 1 char per core. So say I have 4 core how do I assign 4 toons to each of there own core.

I'm not 100% when they say core they're talking about processor?

Any help or information would be awesome Ty

Might be a plugin for it but you can go to task manage and set a core for each process. You wont get any real performance advantage though. Your PC will always prioritize the active window over the non active ones.

EQ only uses about 2% of your CPU per window anyway unless you're zoning.

Last edited:
All modern CPU's have multiple cores. If you press Ctr+Alt+Del and select task manager -> Performance you should see your CPU usage. If you only see a single graph you may have to "expand the view" , "more details" etc depending on which version of the OS you are running.

The OS will try to balance all the applications you are running between the various CPU cores. The more CPU cores you have, the more applications that can run at the same time.

When a program moves between cores the CPU has to do a bit of extra work.

To avoid the performance hit from moving a big application like EQ they lock the application to a core. Telling the OS "don't move me".

Try starting an instance of EQ and watch the performance graph. You should see one of your four CPU's go from almost no activity to 40-60% usage. When you start the next instance the next cpu core should get loaded.

If you are starting from scratch and have 1 core per character you will get an even distribution so there is nothing you have to do.

I think you can put 2 eq instances per core if its Intel processor, no clue on AMD. I think what you meant was "1 instance per thread", if its modern Intel processors.

The more tech savy would know, but you shouldn't see any performance hits on a 4 core Intel, which means you can run 8 eq instances (8 threads), as long as you meet the sufficient video ram and motherboard ram criteria as well. I'm able to run about 12-13 instances on my 4 core, and I start seeing noticeable drops in performance after I start adding the 9th + instances.

I have effectively ran 12-16 accounts on my computer at once and I'm pretty sure I only have a 2-core processor, MAYBE a 4 core, I'm at work so I can't check. I also have 16 gigs of RAM. For me, more RAM has made a much bigger difference in adding multiple instances of EQ than upping the processor cores.

I remember back in the day having to pick and choose which Luclin models I wanted to see because I didn't have enough RAM to support them all.

For some reason, my i7-860 comp which has 8 gigs of ram, crashes eq instances afterwhile (>3 days less than 8 days of eq instance being up), somehow there is some type of memory leak with eq instances the longer you have the instance up.

I'm going to assume its my AMD card that is the issue, as I had the same comp with a Nvidia card and never ran into the issue that quickly, even though it does crash eq instances after awhile as well.

My i7-2700k build, I can have about 10-12 instances up for 20-25 days before the memory leak catches up and starts crashing instances, but that comp also has 32 gigs of ram on it.

Pushing the 2700k past 12 instances I notice the crashes can occur more quickly but nothing as frequent as 4 days of being up.

Which is why I don't buy AMD products anymore, I've noticed drivers just suck for AMD, even while playing other games.

Note to Htw, tell your Intel co-workers to keep doing what they are doing, as the quality is far superior to even buy AMD crap even if its far cheaper. I refuse to go the cheap route and by AMD anymore.

Although, I guess if you are mining bit-coins AMD cards are the route to go.

If you look in your eqclient.ini file (found in your Everquest folder) you'll see some CPUAffinity lines.
Code:
CPUAffinityX=Y
Where X counts the running EQ sessions, and where Y counts your cores.
Both values start the count at 0.
So if you have two cores, and two characters and you want them each on a different core, then you'd do it like this.

Code:
CPUAffinity0=0
CPUAffinity1=1

With a comp with these components how many instances you think I could have up with no issues with max setting and trimmed setting

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-GAMING 7 LGA 1150 Z97 Gaming Audio Networking ATX Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop...

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming 4GB GDDR5 PCiE Video Graphics Card...

Seagate Desktop 3 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 7200 RPM 3.5-Inch...

Windows 8.1 System Builder OEM DVD 64-Bit

Crucial MX100 512GB SATA 2.5" 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) Internal Solid...

Intel Core i7-4790K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz)...

I know it's not a great computer but it's all the wife got me for my bday last week😃

I would think 10-12. The 16 gigs of ram is going to be the limitation beyond that.

Ok I think my wife ordered the wrong ram sticks. If a Mb calls for DIMM ram would SDRAM work in the MB?

According to the MB I listed above it says DIMM ram compatible so to my understanding SDRAM won't wor or may cause an issue

The RAM she ordered is correct. If you look up your motherboard on newegg, and click on the "Specifications" tab, you will see this for supported memory.
Code:
DDR3 3200(OC)/3100(OC)/3000(OC)/2933(OC)/2800(OC)/2666(OC)/2600(OC)/2500(OC)/2400(OC)/2200(OC)/2133(OC)/2000(OC)/1866(OC)/1800(OC)/1600/1333
According to your post, she got Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop
Your motherboard supports 4 modules, and you have two. You can order another two modules to bring you to 32GB. This is a link to a single module of the same ram she ordered.
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10 - Newegg.com
Note, this is a single module, rather than a package of two modules because it is cheaper to purchase two singles than the bundle. (You used to be able to purchase a bundle for a slight discount, now they charge you extra for the convenience)

Yay!!!!!! Thank you Xeniaz for the clarification was a bit worried because the ram shipped out already n the return process is a hassle. But I'm glad you verified that for me parts are arriving slowly 😃

Think this is my last question for a bit. If anyone knows if 2 GCs are needed when running 2 monitors ? I'm just curious because I want to try and run isboxer as well as mmo and I very fascinated by how one is able to see all the chars then from having to alt tab

The system you have spec'ed out on the first page is pretty beefy. You should be able to drive 3+ monitors with out a problem.

If you want to box more than 12 or so you will want to expand your ram from 16 to 32 GB as each instance of EQ is about 500-900 MB depending on the eye candy settings.

There are some good threads about how to minimize resources EQ uses so you can get more characters loaded.